General discussion

PC freezes when I print 5000 Points

By Casemaker ·
Hi,
My client has a pc running W98 SE. motherboard AOpen MX3S, sound,video,nic gameport, usb embeded.
client uses teleflora software for florist and connect to it with Pro Com. Had older printer and it began to give him trouble. Installed Lexmark X63 and then nightmare began. It came in to me because of a modem failure. Installed creative DI5631 modem. Now the problems continued.it freezes whether you print from wordpad or from his Teleflora using Procom software while connected with modem to teleflora. I have tried new printer using parallel cable still freezes. I have disabled every device I could still freezes. i have formatted the drive and reinstalled fresh new copy of W98 Se still freezes. Power supply pushes 5/12 volts ok on several leads. HELP!!!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to PC freezes when I print 5 ...

I have also swapped out memory with known good stick,FREEZE HELP!!! I am formatting again with new reinstall to begin clean with your suggestions.

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to PC freezes when I print 5 ...

After the reinstall I took out the modem and did not load the motherboard component drivers and it is printing ok. So far it appears that the drivers for the components on the board are creating a conflict with the lpt1 and printer.

Collapse -

by jimjennings In reply to PC freezes when I print 5 ...

Make sure that the modem and printer are not sharing resources. With plug and play devices you can have several devices sharing resources as long as they do not try to use them at the same time. You may need to go into the BIOS and reserve oe set IRQs for each, and in windows make sure that memory addresses on the resources tab do not overlap. They may not indicate a problem, but could still cause conflicts. Check the other resources in use while you are in there.

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to

Thank You!!!

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to PC freezes when I print 5 ...

Sounds like an Interrupt Conflict. Check the IRQ settings as described in above post or you can check them in the dvice manager from the control panel SYSTEM applet.

OM

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to

Thank You!!!

Collapse -

by rostman In reply to PC freezes when I print 5 ...

I disagree on the Interupt theory. An IRQ problem usually causes eratic -on/off behavior, whereas you state this freezes the system. By freeze, do you mean you need a hard reboot to get going again, or is it just the program that freezes. We need more information. You can check this by using the num-lock light. If the num-lock light can go on and off, the system is not froze, just the program. Can you send text to the print from DOS. From the C: prompt type
DIR > prn or DIR > LPT1. This should send the C: directory list to the printer. Do not use USB cable for this. This will confirm a hardware problem vs a Windows 98 problem. Let's get it isolated, then we can work from there. Email me directly if you wish. robert.ostman@esi.baesystems.com

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to

Thank You!!!

Collapse -

by RCOM In reply to PC freezes when I print 5 ...

First, I'm curious as to what happened to the original modem? Did it get blown and perhaps something else on the motherboard was also damaged. You didn't explain what was wrong with the original printer but I assume it wasn't related or you would have mentioned it.

Boot to only a DOS prompt then try printing a directory as mentioned in the other response.
If you do it from a DOS window you'll still ahve the same problem because the drivers are loaded.
The command is dir >lpt1

If this works then perhaps there is an issue with drivers or software. If not there's a problem with the port or power.

As far as power consumption is concerned the supply may have correct +5V readings but when printing there may be enough of a current draw that it makes the system halt. Plus there's -5V, +12V and -12 supplied to the circuits. You would need to test with a volt-meter while printing to see if the current drawn is enough to halt the system. Each USB port draws 500mA of current so you do need a power supply that can take this load. Also printing may generate electrical noise which may affect the over-current protection circuit and temporary stop the function of USB port.

You've pretty much eliminated the issue of software problems or resource conflicts because you've reinstalled the OS and it still does the same if connected to USB or parallel. Try printing from the parallel port with the USB port disabled and then opposite.

I'd say either the power supply or the motherboard has a problem. Power supply is easy to swap. Again the modem being out is what leads me to believe this is an electronic circuit issue. There has to be a point where the problem starts and that seems to be it.

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to

Thank You!!!

Back to Desktop Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next