General discussion

Pcmcia adaapter wont play with W2000

By easttdav ·
I have a Compaq 1200 laptop running W2000 on it and I cannot get my linksys pcmcia nic to work with it! It is a known good card, because I dual-boot with Windows Me and it will work fine. The card shows up in device manager with a yellow mark. The dialog box when I click on it states : trouble code 10, device cannot start. I have un-installed abd re-installed several times along with the drivers, but to no avail. The pcmcia controller is listed in device manager as working. Re-installing Windows 2000 has had no effect, even the service pack did not change things. Linksys support help says its Microsofts problem. Microsoft wont help because my laptop came with Windows Me as the original OS, and my W2000 is an evaulation version(full version).Both Microsoft and Linksys web sites list the product (pcmpc100) as compatible. Help! David E.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Gregory Pleau In reply to Pcmcia adaapter wont play ...

When reinstalling the driver - instead of using "Search for a driver for my device", use the "Display a list of known drivers..." and then select "Have disk" browse to your driver disk files and select "Show all hardware" instead of "Show CompatibleHardware".

This will enable you to override Windows and spell out the correct driver to use, from the correct location.

Naturally this process will work better if you get drivers from Linksys and use them instead of the Win2000 built in, but the basic process should work even if Linksys has not released drivers for Win2000 on their website

Collapse -

by easttdav In reply to Pcmcia adaapter wont play ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by castillo49_2000 In reply to Pcmcia adaapter wont play ...

Agree with northernpenguin. In addition to that : Remove ALL TRACES of pcmcia nic drivers, and all configuration in your Network places. Remove any presence of any device from the System Other Devices. Remember ALL ! Then proceed as suggeted by
NorthenPenguin

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by dbunda In reply to Pcmcia adaapter wont play ...

Had similar problems with Dell and Windows 2000. Problem ended up being the Win2000 driver I thought I could trust just didn;t work. Look around from more drivers for the card - 3rd party or updated ones. Often times an alternate driver is available from someone else. In some case, you may find that the card,o/s and laptop are just incompatible, though it is rare for PCMCIA cards. Should I assume you tried the obvisou like a different network card. Eliminate variables!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by LANWANMAN352 In reply to Pcmcia adaapter wont play ...

Agreed! Its got to be incompatible drivers (always is with Uncle Bill).

First, I wouldn't trust an evaluation copy of Windows 2000. I have never believed that these eval's include all of the latest drivers avialable in software released by Microsoft for production and sale.

Because this was an upgrade from Windows ME to dual boot with Windows ME and Windows 2000, we must consider that in Windows 2000 the PC Card and the PC Card socket driver must both be Plug and Play (PnP) compliant; and both have to be Windows 2000 compliant.

If both items are Windows 2000 compliant, the PC Card is PnP compliant, and the PC Card socket driver is NOT PnP compliant, the PC Card would normally not even appear in the Device Manager list.

After verifing that the PC Card and the PC Card socket driver are both Windows 2000 compliant, we can suspect that there is a conflicting resource since we can see the PC Card on the Device Manager list along with the yellow exclamation point,

At this point consider that the default configuration on Compaq Presario 1200-Series Laptops have been known to cause a hardware conflict (see Microsoft's Knowledge Base article Q274509 PC Cards Are Not Recognized in Windows 2000 on Compaq Presario 1200-Series Laptop Computers; and Q281505 PC Card Device May Not Work in Windows 2000).

Try another PCMCIA NIC that is known to have worked with Windows 2000 in the Compaq Presario 1200-Series Laptops.

Use the Add/Remove Hardware Wizard in Control Panel to add a new device drivers that may not be PnP compliant.

(end)

Collapse -

This answer helped fix the problem! One of his suggestions was to see a Microsft article q274509 which showed me the answer. It's funny, however, I had thought I had researched the knowledge base and didn't turn up anything! Thanks again. This was a big help.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)