Question

PE Dell 6300 - Server 2003 Installation

By matt ·
Can anyone help?

I am having difficulty installing Windows Server 2003 on a PowerEdge 6300.

I can get it to install ie. it boots to the CD and allows me to install the OS but on reboot, I get the message:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk.
Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

This is a fresh install there is no previous OS installed. I am sure I need several BIOS upgrades etc to get it to work but which? What's the proper setting on the BIOS that I need to set in order to find the Windows Installation?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Well while flashing the BIOS will not hurt

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to PE Dell 6300 - Server 200 ...

It's unlikely to do much in the way of good either in this case.

What it sounds is happening is that some necessary drivers for Windows are not being installed from the Install CD that you are using. And while the Windows Installer may find a suitable drive to install to when it comes time to reboot that drive disappears. There should be a option to install the necessary drivers provided by Dell on the CD that came with the system and this should cure your problem.

Incidentally when you allow the HDD to be formatted are you using the Normal or Fast Option as the Fast Option sometimes doesn't actually correctly identify the HDD and causes problems like the one you are asking about here.

Col

Collapse -

are you using the Dell disk?

by CG IT In reply to PE Dell 6300 - Server 200 ...

Dell has their own installation Disk which will install all drivers, let you partition the drives [RAID 0,1,5 if the poweredge supports it and install the O/S for you.

If your trying to install Windows from the Windows CD without using the Dell install CD, try it with the Dell install CD.

Collapse -

RE: are you using the Dell disk?

by matt In reply to are you using the Dell di ...

I have an old Dell Disk that does not contain 2003 server option as OS. The latest version on the disk is Windows NT. Can I download the disk from dell website? I searched for it but I did not find it.
Thank you for the Replies!

Collapse -

I'd give Dell a Call

by CG IT In reply to RE: are you using the Del ...

I didn't look for your server version.

If this is a very OLD Dell server, I'd see if it will support W2003.

I've done enough O/S installs on Dell servers to know that using their install disks save a LOT of headaches. They bundle up all the drivers and whatnot in an answer file on their installation disks.

Collapse -

RE- I'd give Dell a call

by matt In reply to I'd give Dell a Call

Thank you all for the replies!
Last night I was capable to install WIN 2K server on it. It worked absolutely flawless. I tried to upgrade 2K to 2003 (thats what I want installed)But the installation want me to perform a fresh install of 2003 server. Unfortunatelly again it did not work it 2003 server. Looks like my PE6300 does not like 2003 server. Any input on this?

Collapse -

Well I would try installing Y2K

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to RE- I'd give Dell a call

And then look at the drivers installed in the Computer Management.

If you are using an OEM Copy of 2003 it may lack some of the necessary drivers the most obvious one being the HDD Controller which could very well be the problem.

Remember that M$ Ships their OEM products with a limited number of drivers for the most common hardware and places like Dell Slipstream the drivers necessary for their products so a Dell Install CD isn't really a Windows Install CD it's a dedicated install setup for one particular system configuration and not an attempt to supply all the common drivers. If this unit is running a SCSI HDD the SCSI controller is the most likely problem as the correct SCSI Controller Drivers are not present on the M$ OEM Product

Because of this I would load Y2K and make a list of the necessary drivers and then download them to the Root of some form of removable media and during the 2003 Install chose to install the necessary drivers for in this case the HDD Controller and it should work once you have these drivers installed during the initial setup.

They may not be available from Dell so you may have to go to the M'Board makers web site to download the drivers of the maker of the HDD Controller to get the 2003 drivers.

Col

Collapse -

I FOUND THE SOLUTION FOR MY PROBLEM!!!

by matt In reply to Well I would try installi ...

WOW! THAT TOOK ME A LONG TIME TO FIND THE RIGHT ANSWER FOR MY PROBLEM, IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM REGARDING WIN2003 SERVER ON A DELL PE6300/400 TRY THIS LINK BELOW;
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.setup/browse_thread/thread/508b26ed24ccc7**/4e533a535945174f?lnk=st&q=PE+6300+and+2003+server&rnum=1#4e533a535945174f
I DID WORK JUST FINE FOR ME!
Thank you all for the replies! Merry Christmas!
-Matt

Collapse -

interesting fix

by CG IT In reply to I FOUND THE SOLUTION FOR ...

but is 7GB sufficent space with service packs, virtual memory hot fixes and the lot?

you might run out of HDD space at some point.

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)