Networks

Our forums are currently in maintenance mode and the ability to post is disabled. We will be back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

Question

Please help - how to configure server2003 machine as router

By bbock ·
Hey Guys,

Ok, I am in a test environment trying to learn how to install and configure RRAS correctly, so the machine will work as a router. I am not a networking guy and need help.

So, I have internet coming into a little D-Link router w/NAT, then that goes into a server2003 machine with two NICs configured with RRAS for LAN routing. NIC #1 is named "external" and NIC #2 is named "internal." Finally, I have a w2k machine at the end of the chain connected to internal NIC.

D-Link router is 192.168.1.1
External NIC ip is 192.168.1.73
Internal NIC ip is 192.168.0.1
w2k machine is 192.168.0.2

After I install Routing and Remote Access services, no matter what I seem to do I cannot get the w2k machine to ping anything besides 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.73. Of course this means I cannot get any Internet access or find shares on the 192.168.1.0 network either from the w2k machine.

Obviously, I am doing something incorrectly or forgetting to do something. Maybe I have the incorrect default gateway setup? I don't know. Help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You really don't need RAS to get Windows to route

by robo_dev In reply to Please help - how to conf ...

Part of the problem is that RAS does some weird stuff lan-to-lan, and all sorts of features (like dead gateway detection) and security settings rear their ugly head.

This may sound lke a stupid suggestion, but XP pro, with a simple registry hack, will route, and it's much simpler to get working.

http://www.home-network-help.com/ip-forwarding.html

Collapse -

Check this?

by Grey Hat Geek In reply to Please help - how to conf ...

Did you already check this article to make sure you had the RRAS portion set up correctly?

Sorry, forgot the link, check the next post!

Collapse -

Check this?

by Grey Hat Geek In reply to Please help - how to conf ...

Did you already check this article to make sure you had the RRAS portion set up correctly?

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5844624.html