Question

• Creator
    Topic

Please help updating firmware for Aten CS1764a KVM

by ghred131 ·

Tags: 

Probably I’m stupid, but I’ve been trying for days to upgrade the firmware of my Aten CS1764a 4-port USB KVM[ without getting anywhere close! Here’s a link to the manual: User Manual (pdf)

For example, what do you think they mean, exactly, when it says: “Disconnect the CS1762A / CS1764A from your KVM installation and power it off.” I really don’t think that means disconnect pretty much ALL the cables, for three reasons: (1): I updated the firmware ten years or so ago and I didn’t need to disconnect all the ports before; and (2): You need to run the update program and send the binary to the KVM so the computer has to remain connected; and (3): You have to type commands via a keyboard connected to the same computer.

In step 4, it says: “… connect the USB Type B connector to the Type A USB port in the Port 1 KVM section”, but there IS no Type A connector for Port 1 of the KVM, only type B! So what do you think they were really trying to say?

In step 5, it instructs you to type some keys to enter the Upgrade mode, including the word “upgrade”, but every time I try it gives a beep warning as soon as I get to the letter “a”, so I can’t complete the word! And some lights on the KVM are supposed to flash, but that never happens.

If I try to run the update program anyway, it complains that there is no HID connected! Aargh!

Has anyone done this with any Aten KVM before, or can understand the instructions and explain them to me? I sent a tech support request to Aten USA but they haven’t replied.

Thanks!

All Answers

Share your knowledge