General discussion

Port Forwarding/ opening D-Link-604t

By diskaus ·
I am having trouble forwarding /opening ports in a D-Link 604t (wireless) Win XP I am using Emule and need to allow it to access TCP & UDP ,afer I Googled the subject and gone through several answers I still cannot get it right. Is there smething I am missing?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rkuhn In reply to Port Forwarding/ opening ...

Step one is to make sure you are using static DHCP to assign IP addresses. You can't forward a packet if you don't know the IP address :)

Step two is to give the new rule a name, enable it, and check the allow box.

Step three is to check WAN as the source and put a * in the IP range for both start and end.

Step four is to check the LAN box as the destination and fill in the IP address you want to forward to as the start and end.

Step five is to check either TCP or UP for the port you want to forward and give a port range.

I can't remember, but off the top of my head I think it takes several ports so you'll have several rules and one of them is port 4662.

Lastly, assign a schedule such as Always or a defined time period. Then just click Apply.

A few caveats...make sure if you are running a software firewall on the PC or laptop that you are allowing this traffic to pass.

I would definitely run a software firewall on the PC or laptop in addition to a strong AV product if you are doing P2P software and scanning regularly.

Alternatively, you could/should always apply your port forwarding rules to the PC/laptop AND put the PC/laptop in the DMZ to protect the rest of your network from the P2P machine. P2P isn't a good idea from a security perspective.

If you have any more specifics, please post and I'm more than willing to help.

Collapse -

by diskaus In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by setantapc In reply to Port Forwarding/ opening ...

www.portforward.com has many examples of common apps that are forwarded and also has a LOT of Routers listed.

You didn't say, but I'm assuming you can login to device, just not set it up correctly...

Please provide more info.

Collapse -

by diskaus In reply to

Went through the steps described in this site but still test fails.Yes Emule can connect, but with low id because ports not opening. Yes can log onto the modem/router.

Collapse -

by diskaus In reply to Port Forwarding/ opening ...

In Answer 1.The steps you describe dont quite fit ( make sense with what the modem shows) I also noticed that my mode is a dlink dsl-G604T does this make any difference? If I disable the firewall on the modem then test the ports through Emule it works fine , but as you say that is not a good idea.Any other thoughts.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

Solution was that I needed to alter my TCP/IP settings for the internet connection in windows.
Thanks to those who answered anyway.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)