General discussion

Power Users Missing in Windows 2000Svr

By Robotech ·
I've been scouring AD looking for my Power Users group so that I can add some workstations but I can't find it, why?
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Power Users

by timwalsh In reply to Power Users Missing in Wi ...

Power Users is a local group and exists only workstations and servers other than Domain Controllers. Once a server is promoted to Domain Controller, there are no more local groups or users. The Power User Group does not exist in AD.

Collapse -

You covered it well :)

by admin In reply to Power Users

I might add that the author can essentially create any OU or group that is needed even if it isn't there by default so if they have users needing some of these permissions they just need to hit up the console a bit using AD :)

Collapse -

Power Users - Not Available in AD

by Robotech In reply to Power Users

So, I gather I'll have to go to the MMC and just create a group with the same priveliges as a Power User right?

Collapse -

Yep.

by admin In reply to Power Users - Not Availab ...

That's what I would do anyway. :)

Collapse -

Power Users

by JPeezus In reply to Power Users - Not Availab ...

Power Users is available in Active Directory. if you create a group or a user you can make them a member of the Power USers Group!

Collapse -

Power Users

by JPeezus In reply to Power Users

it's looks like you may be only able to apply each individual account the the power users. we have an AD Domain and I can apply Power Users priviledges to individual accounts.

Collapse -

Power Users

by timwalsh In reply to Power Users

Let me refine (or explain) my ascertion that the Power Users Group doesn't exist in AD.

The Power Users group is a local group that exists on all Win2K workstations and servers (other that Domain Controllers). This group exists whether the workstation/server is a member of an AD domain or not. When a Win2K server is promoted to Domain Controller, all LOCAL groups and users (on that server) are disabled. AD does not create a DOMAIN group called Power Users.

You can certainly create a DOMAIN group called Power Users and give this group the same permissions that the LOCAL Power Users group has.

Usually, if you want a given user to have Power User "status", you add that user's DOMAIN account to the LOCAL Power User's group on that user's workstation.

Collapse -

Point Taken.... but!!

by Robotech In reply to Power Users

Right now my account in Active Directory is a member of the:

Administrators domain.com/built in
Domain Users domain.com/Users

groups.
I log in to the domain and I can't even adjust the time, it says I don't have enough privileges.
I try to remove my account from the:

Domain Users domain.com/Users group

and it says I can't do it becaus it is my primary group. I try to change my primary group but I can't because the button is grayed out.

What do I do?

Collapse -

This is another question, but...

by dan670129 In reply to Point Taken.... but!!

you don't have to be removed from Domain Users group.
By default Administrators group have rights only on the local machine. For administrative rights in the domain you must to be in the Domain Admins group. And by default Domain Admins are membersof all Administrators groups which exists locally on Win NT/2000/XP clients. So, add your account to Domain Admins and remove it from Administrators.

Back to IT Employment Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)