General discussion

Presario 1200 beep codes

By Paul Griffin ·
When i switch my presario notebook on i get 3 short beeps followed by another 3 short beeps then 1 short beep. Can anyone tell me what this means or give me a list of beep codes.

Thankyou

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Presario 1200 beep codes

by zlitocook In reply to Presario 1200 beep codes

Compaq FAQ: My system is not starting, and the keyboard lights flash? What could be the problem? (FAQ1213)
Meaning of the New Beep Code Errors and Flashing Lights on the keyboard during boot up

With the new models some new beep codes have been implemented with flashing of the keyboard lights. This sequence shows some common errors that can be encountered with the computers.There are two new beep sequences that have 2 short and 1 long. One the Num lock flashes and the other the Scroll lock flashes. I will show all of the codes below. If there are no flashing lights on the keyboard and it is 3 short beeps then take out any memory that has been added. The 3 short beeps are indicating a memory failure.

Troubleshooting LEDs and BeepsPCA Diagnostic Lights

Light Beeps Meaning and Required Action
Cap Lock 1 long 2 short Flashes when a graphics controller is not present or in incorrectly initialized. This feature is supported by the 12/17/97 or later system ROM.
Num Lock 2short 1 long Flashes when system memory is not present or is incompatible. This feature is supported by the 12/17/97 or later system ROM.
Scroll Lock 2 long 1 short Flashes when there is a system board hardware failure. This feature is supported by the 12/17/97 or later system ROM.
":Incompatible DIMM" message displayed at POST Detect incompatible DIMMs, those that do not meet Compaq specifications. Not beeps or LED flashes.
Power and Hard Drive Activity Flashes together when the riserboard is not fully seated or is not present on the system board. This feature is supported by the system board with Assy# 008093-101, 008096-101 and 008219-101.

Collapse -

Presario 1200 beep codes

by Paul Griffin In reply to Presario 1200 beep codes

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Presario 1200 beep codes

by Istmaj In reply to Presario 1200 beep codes

According to the Compaq website beeps 3-3-1 means the DROM detected a hard failure. Not really sure what that means. Here is the link for the beep codes and diagnostic LEDs
http://www5.compaq.com/AlphaServer/archive/400/ek-pcsva-ui-a01.pdf

Good Luck!

Collapse -

Presario 1200 beep codes

Collapse -

Presario 1200 beep codes

by purple713 In reply to Presario 1200 beep codes

Check your memory. Make sure the chips are seated properly in the slots. The memory my also be malfunctioning cause the machine to beep. If the memory is seated, try replacing it or pulling the chips out and inserting one at a time to see which one is defective.

Collapse -

Presario 1200 beep codes

Collapse -

Presario 1200 beep codes

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)