General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Presario 1200 – No Comm Ports!

by ruairi ·

Hi, have done a clean instal of win98 on a Compac Presario 1200 XL. Installed sound, video, network drivers etc and that all works but I cannot resolve the following which may or may not be related:
    1. Two default monitors in device manager; tried deleting one but it still looks to reinstal on booting so I have disabled. (Display adapter Trident CyberBlade i1 AGP 77).
    2. There is an unknown PCI communications device (yellow ? mark) listed under ‘Other Devices’. There is no modem in device manager so I installed one but thats not it.

And the last but most curious is that I have no Comm ports listed or available.

All other functions seem ok and there are no other problem devices or anything reporting conflicts in device manager…… I have been told that there was a prob with early compacs and I may need to get an i/o device driver but have had no luck on the Compaq site or elswhere getting any info so your help would be appreciated…. cheers

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Presario 1200 – No Comm Ports!

by ruairi ·

In reply to Presario 1200 – No Comm Ports!

Point value changed by question poster.

by blackcurrant ·

Hi

Have you checked you are using the most up-to-date version of the BIOS? You should be able to download the latest version from Compaq/HP’s site.

Next check your BIOS settings to ensure that everything is configured as you would expect it to be.

Next, right-click your desktop and select Properties, then click the Settings tab and then the Advanced button and make sure everything is as it should be.

Finally, run a registry checker.

Good luck

by willcomp ·

PCI Communications Device is almost always a modem. Did you force install a modem that may not have correct drivers? Go to reinstall driver in Device Manager and provide correct modem driver.

Missing Com ports may be due to BIOS settings. Check to ensure that they are enabled in BIOS.

Dalton

by thechas ·

The PCI communications device may well be your COM ports.

Have you downloaded and installed the system drivers?
      Windows 98 has very limited drivers on the CD.

Unfortunately, HP does not have drivers for download.

You will need to identify the specific chip-set used on the motherboard and download the drivers for it from the chip manufactures page.
      Or, install them from the Compaq CD that came with the notebook.
      Or, download drivers from a 3rd party site such as http://www.driverguide.com

Chas

by dmiles ·

PCI Communications is related to the modem attcached to system,Windows 98 does not have a large data base of drivers

1)Remove the modem from slot and reboot computer,it should detect new hardware found,if you have the software drivers that came with the modem insert in drive and choose select from list,this will start a manual install,proceed to follow on screen instructions.(Manually install the modem sonot let windows detect)
      If you donot have the drivers on disk you should see the manufacturer’s site for drivers,also there is http://www.driversguide.com

2)Dual monitors will shows up if you had another monitor connected to the system,cannot say why it returns

by hal 9000 ·

Well I would tend to believe that the error is connected to the COM ports and that the version of Win 98 didn’t have the proper driver support for the M’Board in that computer. If you have the restore disc/s use them to update the drivers on the non working ones.

If you do not have the original CD’s then you will have to find out from the BIOS string just who made the M’Board and download the drivers for the M’Board from their site.

Unfortunately because the internals of these are different between production runs HP will be unable to help you even if they where interested which 9 times out of 10 they aren’t. Try BIOSWORLD or BIOSMAN for the brand & model of the M’Board. You will see the BIOS string on the bottom of the screen on boot up and you will need to press the “Pause” key down so you can copy it down. This string of letters and numbers gives you all the details of theBIOS used, the maker and model of the M’Board and then you can visit the site of the M’Board maker to download the correct drivers.

by ruairi ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 6 reply threads