General discussion

Printer causes reboot of win 2000 SP4

By mikec.mikec ·
When I power on my HP 7031xi printer (connected to USB) it reboots windows 2000 SP 4, no errors. Eight out of ten times it will reboot with no errors? Reinstalled USB & printer drivers, no go. On line with HP support for 2 1/2hours, still no go.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

Win2k automatically reboots when a blue screen occurs. You need to turn this feature off and see what the blue screen is to further troubleshoot.
Or
Is the printer plugged into the same electrical socket as the computer, monitor, etc. Try a different outlet (on a different fuse) and see if the problem continues.

Collapse -

by mikec.mikec In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

Thanks for the reply. I get no "Blue screen of death". I also have an HP III connected thur LPT 1 which does not cause a reboot. My cousin has an HP printer (differant model)also connected thru USB, when she had win 98 no problem. When she upgraged to win 2000 SP4 now she has the same problem; power on printer reboots computer. Did not happen with win 98. Any other ideas?

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

1st thing is to put the proper printer MODEL # down... This will help us assist you.

2ndly, have you gone to HP.com --> support. HP All in one printers and some printers have an issue with USB. If you do not have the drivers fully installed or the latest USB updates from microsoft, the connection will make the PC reboot.

Collapse -

by mikec.mikec In reply to

Ischein, in my question I state that it is a HP 7031ix connected thru USB. 2nd I stated that I was on line with a HP tech for almost 3 hours. As per HP I did reinstall the USB drivers and checked for the latest Printer diivers as well.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

You know, Win98 and Win2K handle USB differently. 98 probably only has USB 1.0, and Win2K does USB 2.0
So, my thoughts on this are for you to get an updated motherboard BIOS flash, with the latest BIOS version. Flash the BIOS with this new version, and see if that fixes things. You can call HP again, and they can help you with the BIOS update, or just go to their site for your computer make/model/speed and look for BIOS updates; get the most latest one.
hope this helps

Collapse -

I only meation win 98 to rule out any printer or power problems. I have checked for the latest MB BIOS and they are the latest. I really believe that it is a HP,USB, win 2000 problem. But I have already done all that is sugguested here so far. I find it hard to believe that I and my cousin are the only ones having a reboot problem with an HP printer connect to USB running win 2000 SP 4. Thanks again for your responses.

Collapse -

by brddog In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

This may not be an answer but let me try some suggestions.
First, did you try starting computer with printer on? (I leave mine on)
Second, you say it will occasionly reboot with error, do you have the error code? If so you could input that at microsoft to see if there are any clues to a solution.
Third, did you try another printer on this system?
Fourth, I cannot find this model on HP's site. If this is an older USB 1.1 and the motherboard is USB 2.0 this also could be the problem (or printer is USB 2.0 and MB is USB 1.1)
Hope this helps

Collapse -

Oops. Its a 7130xi officejet. If I leave the printer on, no problem. When it reboots there are no error msgs given, no blue screen. I have an older HP laser III connected to LPT 1 which DOES NOT reboot when I power it on. All on same power strip. I understand that some say it might be a power spike, but sometimes I can cycle on-off the printer eight times and not get a reboot?? I reinstalled the USB divers, but have not looked for new ones. Will check that out tonight. Thanks for your response.

Collapse -

by Pocono In reply to Printer causes reboot of ...

Try removing SP4...and then boot computer to see if it happens again..

Collapse -

Tried this 2 months ago.

Back to Desktop Forum
16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next