General discussion

Printer Problem on Terminal Server 2000

By Working IT ·
I am using Windows 2000 Termina Server. I understand that there will be a problem if Terminal Client connecting to the Server have one of the newest printer attached to the client PC. The printer may not be redirected. I did some research on the Mircosoft.com and found the Terminal Server Printer Driver Redirection Wizard which allow me to add printer driver to the Server remotely.

It is working fine for most of the printer. However, I still having problem with HP All-In-One printer (HP OfficeJet 4215). HP Supports said All-In-One printer doesn't support Windows Servers. I tried their recommended alternated printer driver (HP DeskJet 550C). But it sill doesn't work.

I searched my client's PC for the printer driver files. They are located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\hpofficejet_4200_ser2524. Do you think it will work if I copy the whole folder into my Terminal Server on the same location? Will the Terminal Server recongize the HP 4215 printer? Otherwise, do you have any other suggestion beside upgrading to Windows 2003 Terminal Server?

Thank you

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Printer Problem on Termin ...

HP lists the driver as being supported by Windows 2000 as listed here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=351106&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=8&submit.x=5&lang=en&cc=us

Specific Windows 2000 print drivers are at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=351106&lang=en&cc=us&os=181

They also list several updates to fix security issues on that page.

And there is no difference (as far as printer drivers go) between Windows 2000 for servers or workstations...

Collapse -

by Working IT In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by aschol In reply to Printer Problem on Termin ...

How is the printer connected to the client? If it is a USB connection, there is a registry edit that must be done. Let me know how it is connected please.

Collapse -

Collapse -

I believe that you need to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361/en-us

Collapse -

Tried that before! Thanks!

Collapse -

Just curious, but what are the errors that you are getting on the client PC in event viewer?

Collapse -

The logs are event 1111 and 1106. I installed the Terminal Server Printer Driver Redirection Wizard from http://support.microsoft.com/?id=239088. It allow me to install the printer driver onto my Terminal Server. It works for my DeskJet 3845 and 5100. I believe it will work for any non-multifunction printer, too. I just want to know if it is possible to make it work with the HP OfficeJet 4215 (multifunction printer).

Collapse -

by aschol In reply to

If it works on other USB printers than I can't help. I had a similar issue with a lexmark MFP. Sorry

Collapse -

by mousejockey In reply to Printer Problem on Termin ...

Hello I Am Will,

I can not recommend copying the folder nor do I believe that it will work. I am using Terminal Server and I also have the same problem with all in ones.

I use Terminal Server for Salesmen in the field and at home to connect to the CRM program at HQ.

My solution was to create a Print 2 Email printer that is installed on the server or the Client can buy and install it themselves. The later is the best practice. If the Client buys it and installs it as their Default printer Terminal Server will auto create it. If the User wishes to use the Printer on the server the user will have to select the printer from the Print menu. The Print 2 Email allows them to send it to any email account and print to their printer locally. I have some very slow minded users and they have no trouble at all. :-)

This solution has allowed me to impose greater restrain on the client printers and allow the client to buy what ever they want and still be productive.

The Cost is very reasonable. 49.00 Per user. I pass that on to the Client.

Rog'

Back to Windows Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next