General discussion

Printing problem with HP Laser1000

By eroon ·
I have WinXP pro connected to Win2K server. Hp laser 1000 printer connected server. When I print from the XP, it prints the first time. The next time I try to print, it goes into the print queue and nothing happens. I can print to other printers on the network, and other computers (all Win9 can print to the Hp printer. I tried re-installing the printer on the server, and adding it again to the XP computer. I tried re-starting the spooler service, but it didn't helped. Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jimmy In reply to Printing problem with HP ...

Apparantly HP LJ1000 is flaky with USB1.0 and doesn't actually print to it properly check HP site for details.

Here is HP's Driver installation for an OEM setup
OEM means a PC that came with a pre-installed operting system from say Dell

Install the print driver in Windows 2000 and XP (Classic View) using the following steps:

Exit all programs.
Plug the USB cable into the computer.
When the Windows Plug and Play event begins for the HP LaserJet 1000, click Cancel.
Insert the HP LaserJet 1000 CD in the CD-ROM drive. If the HP LaserJet 1000 software installation begins to autorun, click Cancel and Exit Setup.
From the Windows taskbar, select Start, Settings, and Printers.
Double-click the Add Printer icon.
When the Add Printer Wizard starts, click Next.
Select Local printer, and click Next.
Select USB00X Virtual printer port for USB (with X being the highest number shown.). Click Next.
On the Manufacturers screen, click Have Disk.
Type X:\English (where X is the letter of the CD-ROM drive), and click OK.
Highlight HP LaserJet 1000 and click Next.
If the message "This driver is already installed" appears, choose Replace existing driver and click Next.
The printer's name should appear as "HPLASERJET 1000."
Click the desired default printer option and click Next.
Select YES to print a test page.
The HP LaserJet 1000 Print Driver should now show up in the Printers Folder.
Print a test page from any application, such as WordPad or Microsoft Word.

TRY TO ISOLATE THE PROBLEM TO EITHER THE PC, USB PORT OR SEREVR.

Task 1 -Try installing the printer as a standalone printer on the WinXp PC and run a couple of test documents to see if this resolves the issue(Temporaillry of course)
Task 2 - Try sharing the printer from the XP PC if task 1 works.

HTH

Collapse -

by eroon In reply to Printing problem with HP ...

I installed the printer as per instructions, but the problem was still there. I then installed it as a stand-alone on the XP computer, and was able to print. I then shared it and others can print to it most of the time. I still get problems though - for no apparent reason it sometimes goes offline.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)