General discussion

Prob. with HP CDWriter 7200+ (IDE/ATAPI)

By dberkefeld ·
I installed this CD-RW Burner in my computer and it can burn CD-R & CR-RW CD's, but can't read them. Why? It can read another CD-R recorded in another burner! The machine has a Celeron-400 CPU, 128Mb RAM, 15Gb Seagate hard disk and runs Win'98SE.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Jomo123 In reply to Prob. with HP CDWriter 72 ...

Not to sound skeptical, but are there any signs of a successful burn to the CD on the bottom? Also, make sure your options aren't set to "test." I found a lot of information and FAQ's on www.hp.com>support>CD Devices>7200>solve a problem.

Collapse -

by dberkefeld In reply to Prob. with HP CDWriter 72 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Bill Cassada In reply to Prob. with HP CDWriter 72 ...

Try burning a different brand of CD. When these things first came out in Europe I had a lot of customers complaining so I did heavy research and found that Kodak makes a good CD and that some CDs will burn, but are so unreliable that they can't always be read.

The answer above is good, too. But it's worth the 1 or 2 dollars to get a Kodak CD and try it (at least I think so anyway)

Collapse -

Collapse -

by systembored In reply to Prob. with HP CDWriter 72 ...

If you are burning a CD and then trying to read it, but can't, maybe the CD isn't be burned properly.

Re-writable CD's come in at least a couple of different flavors. The CD burner you have writes to 650 MB CD's and can read them. But, if you are using 700 MB CD's, it has been my experience that it won't write properly, and, of course, you won't be able to read anything.

Collapse -

Collapse -

I would also like to add that the CD's read correctly in a normal CD-ROM Drive (my old 20X in my 2-year old laptop computer).

Collapse -

by burtsa In reply to Prob. with HP CDWriter 72 ...

This may sound like a silly question but do you have your burning software still open when you try to read the disc. I have had problems reading anything from my burner if my creation software is open. It is like it take complete control over the drive.

Shawn

Collapse -

Collapse -

by BV2 In reply to Prob. with HP CDWriter 72 ...

Make sure you have the correct format specified on the burn (joliet, ISO, etc.), and that DMA is selected on the drive. And, of course, check the media. I burned four CDs in a row with success, then promptly cranked out 3 coasters. Of course, with 25 cent CDs I can't really complain.

Back to Desktop Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next