Question

Problem installing ATI HD4650 AGP Card

By mking2k ·
My Son has a Compaq S6000CL. We upgraded his PSU to a 500W which works great. Added a ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP video card. Problem is that when the card is in the machine neither video port seems to work, not even the existing on-board video port. Remove the card from the AGP slot and the on-board seems to work fine. Only BIOS setting I have been able to find is for PCI/AGP-Onboard. I have tried both settings and results are the same. The MB for the S6000CL is the ASUS A7V8X-LA. Is there something I need to do to ensure the AGP port is working? Any suggestions on how I can diagnose the problem? With no video I feel really stuck. BTW OS is WinXP-Pro SP3

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Disable OnBoard Card

by Mehul Bhai In reply to Problem installing ATI HD ...

Disable the OnBoard Video Card from the BIOS Setup.

Collapse -

Install the video card on your system....

Then go into the bios an find "PCI/AGP-Onboard" and mark it "disable", then go to "Exit" and select "Save settings", now fully shutdown the computer for 15 seconds. Start up after this time and load on the drivers for your video card.
Please post back if all goes well or not.

Collapse -

There is another issue that you may need to consider here

by OH Smeg In reply to Problem installing ATI HD ...

Some of the newer M'Board Chip Sets don't support all of the currently available Video Cards. Also some Video Card Makers may use different functions of what is available with Video Chip Sets.

I have had instances where a Model of Video Card from one Maker doesn't work with a M'Board where as a Different Brand of the same Chip Set does or a different Model from the same Maker works perfectly well with that M'Board.

If the AGP Card is correctly inserted into the socket and you are not getting any Video or the system is not booting you will most likely need to try a different Make/Model of Video Card.

Col

Collapse -

Also make sure that the AGP Card is correctly inserted

by OH Smeg In reply to There is another issue th ...

I've seen a couple of instances where poor case design means that the AGP Video Card is not fully in it's socket when it appears to be correctly fitting the case.

You may need to remove the Mounting Bracket and see if it works that way to rule out the case holding the card out of the socket.

Col

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)