General discussion

Problem installing MS Office 2000 update

By alla.elinson ·
The MS office on the cleint PC was originally installed from the CD. Now, when I apply SP or updates it wants the CD. What should I change, so it's going to look for it on the network drive and I don't have to browse every time. Where is thet setting???
PLEASE HELP

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

same problem SP1

I am having the same problem after SP1 install. I use office (word & Access) so much I just keep the CD in all the time. I am researching a fix with MS . If I find anything out I will repost.

Collapse -

Registry

by Blau In reply to Problem installing MS Off ...

Unsure of the SP portion of the install but I know a long time ago I had modified the registry to default to network drive from a local CD drive installation. Might want to look in HKLM under software\microsoft. Or try searching registry for the key<CD Drive>\data1.msi. Sorry couldn't be clearer but it was a long time ago...I think it might of been with Office 97. Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Install Error

by AdamB29 In reply to Problem installing MS Off ...

The problem is that you installed from a CD. When you install from a CD the computer assumes that all future files will come from the CD. When you copied the CD to the network the computers did not know about this. Once your point your computer to the server that the CD is now on, the computer will remember the new location. We ran into the same problem during a server upgrade. We do network installs but the new server had a new name and the box kept coming up asking for a path. Once we put thenew path in (for you, instead of \, it will be \\servername\sharename) the computer remembers the new location. I do not know a registry hack or .ini edit, but this is how we fixed the problem.

Back to IT Employment Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)