General discussion

Problem reinstalling Works Suite 2000

By jspaz ·
I purchased a Dell Dimension with Works Suite 2000(including MS Word) installed. I used a utility (PC Relocator) to move MS Office Professional from a computer I am replacing. I now need to reinstall Word 2000 from the Works Suite CD. I get an error when reinstalling prompting me to insert the Word 2000 disk which I don't have. Windows seems to be getting confused with the Office Pro migration. I am not able to remove any of the Microsoft software using Add/Remove programs. I get an errorindicating that another version has been found.

I obviously created the problem by using the Relocator utility. Dell recommends a complete reformat and reinstall. I would like to avoid that. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BuffaloDan In reply to Problem reinstalling Work ...

You are not alone with your difficulties regarding office 2000 co-existing with other office suites. Seems that when Ofc2k was installed on the machine being retired, it was installed as the only ofc suite on this system. Consequently, the migrationutility has inserted serial and version number strings into your registry, as well as location pointers, in such a way that ofc2k is the only registered office suite...and this version differs from that offered on your works CD. To resolve this issue correctly, you must know exactly what you are doing in the windows registry....many many keys need editing, and exact serials and versions and locations need to be known, the process would be exceptionally time consuming and difficult. And not recommended

To the best of my knowledge, for the last several years, dell has included a utility, launched via batch file, that will reload your installed software. Unless you have previously formatted this dell Sytem's HDD, That utility may still exist.
The utility is a hidden file in the root directory of C: drive called ZZTOP.BAT...
Run this utility, and restart the computer, and your system will be returned/recoverd to it's factory shipped condition.

Note, this is identicle to an HDD strip and reload. All data saved, and apps installed from other sources will be lost. "Back these up!"
However, all dell installed apps and utilities will be re-installed, the system will look exactly as it did when it was removed from the box and first installed.

Good luck,

Collapse -

by jspaz In reply to Problem reinstalling Work ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by jspaz In reply to Problem reinstalling Work ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)