General discussion

problem w/display/illum hp ze4125 laptop

By nuts4soccer ·
Please help! I've got an hp pavillion ze4125 that isn't illuminating on the display screen. If i shine a light on the screen you can faintly see what is being displayed. If I plug an outside monitor into laptop everything is ok and functional. I can't afford to take it in for repair and would like to know if problem is a replaceable component and or what it would be called or better yet a part #. If anyone could be of help, it would be greatly appreciated!! Thank-you in advance for any help. ;> "Nuts"

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by statykserver In reply to problem w/display/illum h ...

Have you tried changing the brightness on the screen. It usually entails pressing the FN key with the brightness funtion key. It might have been depressed accidently so that is worth a look. How does the cmos and post screen look? Is it also dimm? If it looks fine then try starting it in safe mode and see if its a possible driver problem. Finally open it up just to check if the video cable is slightly loose or maybe just reseat it. If all looks good then the only other option I have is to have it repaired.

Collapse -

by statykserver In reply to problem w/display/illum h ...

Have you tried changing the brightness on the screen. It usually entails pressing the FN key with the brightness funtion key. It might have been depressed accidently so that is worth a look. How does the cmos and post screen look? Is it also dimm? If it looks fine then try starting it in safe mode and see if its a possible driver problem. Finally open it up just to check if the video cable is slightly loose or maybe just reseat it. If all looks good then the only other option I have is to have it repaired.

Collapse -

by ctrservices In reply to problem w/display/illum h ...

With the second monitor attached, go into the display properties (advanced--click on the tab for your video card--change the display to go to the laptop and not the external monitor--apply/ok. (Fn + one of the function keys, usually F8 also should change which monitor gets the display.)

If this doesn't work, download the video drivers from the HP web site to the computer (remember the location), uninstall the old drivers in Device Manager (right-click My Computer--select Properties--click the Hardware tab--click the Device Manager tab--expand Display adapters--select your video card--right-click the adapter and click uninstall--reboot.

When the monitor shows the Add New hardware wizard, manually tell it where the newly downloaded drivers reside and finish the wizard. Hopefully when this is finished, you can go back into your advanced display properties and select only the notebook to send the display to. If the display doesn't appear properly on the laptop, click the Comment button to let us know what happened. (If still no display, probably the LCD mnitor is faulty. You will need to check with HP to see if a replacement is even available.)

Collapse -

by drat53 In reply to problem w/display/illum h ...

You probably have a bad inverter board which lights the backlight for the display or a bad display panel.

Collapse -

by wimpee In reply to problem w/display/illum h ...

I agree with the 4th answer, it is most likely a bad inverter board OR bulb, hence the indirect light you provided via a flashlight allowed you to see the display, though dimly.

If it were simply turned down or a driver issue, then a flashlight would not have assisted you in viewing, even dimly, any display.

The part IS a replaceable part if you are technically inclined. If you are not, then your options are to take it to an HP authorized service provider or search for another laptop on an auction site and swap the hard drive.

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)