General discussion

Problem w/ embedded Pics in Outlook 2003

By ccrock ·
Alright, I have been having a problem with a co-worker not being able to see some - just some - embedded pictures. Note: when forwarded on I can see them. They come up as red X's for my coworker. I have tried my best, to no avail, to solve this problem - note no bar comes up asking if I want to download pictures, and when viewing the source of both emails (mine and theirs) - they are in HTML - they are both referencing the picture exactly the same way. Here is what I have tried:

1) Add user to safe senders list (internal sender, was already on the safe sender list)
2) Double check that email is in HTML (company setup on Outlook is all the same)
3) Check the picture setting and trusted zones under security in options (Should be covered by safe sender, but checked anyway)
4) Checked Rich viewing (don?t know why this should matter but checked it)
5) Checked that office updates are done (Again this is set company wide)

Any and all help is appreciated,
Cam

Please note that if the image is set as an attachment instead of an embedded picture, it can be viewed fine.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

28 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by OnTheRopes In reply to Problem w/ embedded Pics ...

It may be ad-blocking software on your co-workers PC that is blocking HTML ads.

Collapse -

by ccrock In reply to

Since the email is internal to the company, i don't believe that it would be add blocking software preventing the picture from being seen. Plus I can see it and she has not different apps then are on my machine.

Collapse -

by cmdrkruge In reply to Problem w/ embedded Pics ...

When the email is sent to you the pics were attached manually and the email was composed in html mode. when you forwarded the message you are losing the attachments. If you save the pics and resend them you can send them. When you received the pics because they were manually attached tyou received the pics and they were stored in temp folders but outlook does not repackage them into the forwarded message. I have had the same problem and the only answers I could find were that it is a limitation in outlook.

Collapse -

by ccrock In reply to

the email was sent directly to her from another co-worker, she can't see the embedded picture. However, when she forwards the email on to me I can see the email. (I have forwarded the email back to her and she still can't see the picture). So Its not that you lose them when forwarding the emails

Collapse -

ah-

by dawgit In reply to

then somewhere in the setings, hers is different than yours....
There is I do believe somewhere on the tool bar, under tools maybe, a little option to check that says View Objects, or, Show Objects, Yours is checked, hers is not.
(sorry, I can't be more preciece, it's been a while since I've used OutCook. But I thought I'd give it a try for you) -d

Collapse -

Same problem

by dariniello In reply to

I have the exact same problem with one of my users here. I can't find any solution for it.

Collapse -

by ccrock In reply to Problem w/ embedded Pics ...

Since the email is internal to the company, i don't believe that it would be add blocking software preventing the picture from being seen. Plus I can see it and she has not different apps then are on my machine.

Secondly, I don't know if I clarified enough to begin with, but the email was sent directly to her from another co-worker, she can't see the embedded picture. However, when she forwards the email on to me I can see the email. (I have forwarded the email back to her and she still can't see the picture). So Its not that you lose them when forwarding the emails.

Thanks for the attempts,
Cam

Collapse -

by rakramer212 In reply to Problem w/ embedded Pics ...

Your company is likely using email scanning (anti-virus) to remove certain file extensions. Example, Trend ScanMail is designed to look for and eliminate specific file extensions, which are configurable by your email administrator. Basically, there are a number of tools which can be employed to perform this function, ranging from Outlook client patches, to anti-virus scanning (at the server) to specific applications (scanning engines). Your email administrator will be able to advise you. If the security policy in place prohibits such file extensions, your only options are to put the file(s) on a shared drive, or sneaker-net the file to your co-worker.

Collapse -

by ccrock In reply to

Our company has a standardized desktop - so everyone has the same computer base except for specific work related programs - if the email scanning was blocking it would stop her and myself from seeing the picture embedded in the email.

Collapse -

by I_M_Dougie In reply to Problem w/ embedded Pics ...

Do the versions of Outlook and Office match? I see a lot of funky things when users with Office 2000 upgrade Outlook only to 2003.

If it is the same, try inserting the MS Office CD and running a Complete install of MS Office. Maybe there's a filter that did not get installed with a standard installation.

Back to Software Forum
28 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next