Question

Problem with Office 2000

By FrancR ·
Just to give you an idea of how much of a head scratcher this is, I joined this site solely for the purpose of this problem (though I'm probably going to stick around after!).

We have a user here, who has problems with her Office 2000. When she tries to opens an Excel file, whether it's by opening the file in Explorer or in Excel by doing File/Open, she gets the following error message : "Unable to access read-only file 'filename.xls'". When she click ok, she gets "Unable to open 'filename.xls'". I tried this with a local file and a file on a network drive.

In Word, she gets a similar error message. Also, when trying to close Word by clicking the X, the opened file closes, but Word stays open. If I click X again, I get a message that says something like "Do you want to save modifications to the template?" or something like that. Clicking Yes doesn't work, so I have to click no.

I tried reinstalling Office completely, but it still made the same problem. I tried deleting Normal.dot, but for some reason, couldn't find it. So yesterday, I deleted the Windows user profile and had a new one created. It worked fine for the rest of the day. Today, the problem came back.

I thought it might be because the user is on a different GPO than other users, so I've put her on the same thing and had her reboot : Same problem.

I'm at loss here! I think something is corrupting her Office but I have no idea why!

Any help?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

These are the times that try men's souls...

by NormH3 In reply to Problem with Office 2000

and drive IT Professionals nuts. I guess I don't have to mention that although it probably serves it's purpose, OFFICE 2000 is a 10 year old suite. Perhaps it's time to consider upgrading before you have issues with other users as well.
Since the issue went away after deleting and creating a new profile, I think I would try it again to see if it solves the issue a second time. If it does, then at least you know you are on the right track. You have done exactly what I would have tried.
When you reinstalled, did you uninstall and manually remove anything left behind? Uninstalls are notorious for leaving bits and pieces that get reused on the next install.

Collapse -

Before you go and get a new version of office, try this out...

by Peconet Tietokoneet In reply to Problem with Office 2000

http://www.excelfilerecovery.com/
It just might help you out with your issues.
If it does then you would have saved a lot of money.

Collapse -

Do a search for *,dot files,

by Kenone In reply to Problem with Office 2000

make sure you're searching hidden and system files. Normal.dot has to be out there and be very suspicious of any other template (.dot) files. You may want to delete or rename them as a test. Normal.dot is usually in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. Look also in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033.

Collapse -

Try this

by beentherebefore In reply to Problem with Office 2000

I remember having that issue
Remove office
Run eraser utility

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239938/EN-US/

Reinstall office

Collapse -

Proper uninstall

by John.Cuocci In reply to Problem with Office 2000

I would also try to download a uninstaller. Thes applications will ensure that you really do get all the files off your PC when uninstalling. As one of the previous posts pointed out they often leave files behind. I use an application called Revo Uninstaller and it is great. It;s a free app that you can get from CNETdownloads.com

Collapse -

Update

by FrancR In reply to Problem with Office 2000

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have followed the advice that most of you gave me, which is to completely clean up Office. I used Revo Uninstaller. It works for now, so I'll wait and monitor until tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

Collapse -

Looks good, now!

by FrancR In reply to Update

I just checked with the user again this morning! Looks like it works fine for now! If the issue comes back, I'm going to have to write that off as a user manipulation that corrupts the profile.

NOTE : Yesterday, after I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Windows, I also recreated the Windows profile.

Thanks a bunch for your help guys! I'm sold! I'm staying!

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)