Question

Problem with telnet and Exchange 2007

By powlboyjr ·
I'm trying to use telnet to send a message through a mail server. When I get to the DATA section and finished typing my message, I am suppose to end with (CRLF).(CRLF). Everything should work at that point, but I keep getting 500 Unknown command as a response. Do I need to do anything else? Here is a line by line of my input.

TELNET
SET LOCALECHO
SET LOGFILE C:\MYLOGFILE.TXT
OPEN MAIL.THEIRDOMAIN.COM 25

EHLO MYDOMAIN.COM
MAIL FROM: ME@MYDOMAIN.COM
RCPT TO: THEM@THEIRDOMAIN.COM
DATA
Subject: test email

This is a test email

500 Unknown Error

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

SMTP with TELNET

by oldbaritone In reply to Problem with telnet and E ...
Collapse -

thanks but...

by powlboyjr In reply to SMTP with TELNET

Thank you that is actually the site that I found too. I understand everything about the message, it's just that when I press enter after the last message line, enter the period, then press enter again, the message does not send. It waits about 3-5 seconds and then outputs that 500 error.

Collapse -

Re: error

by christianshiflet In reply to thanks but...

Have you tried sending to the domain w/ a normal email or web client and if so, do you get any sort or NDR or bounce message? Can you setup SMTP logging on the server for a short period to get more detailed SMTP errors?

Collapse -

At that link

by seanferd In reply to thanks but...

have you done the tests shown prior to attempting to send an actual mail? First things that occur to me is that a) the port to use is not 25, b) that authentication is required, and c) telnet, being woefully insecure, is not allowed.

Try PuTTY, and make sure the ports and authentication types are correct for the mailserver you wish to use.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)