Question

PROBLEM WITH WIN SB SERVER 2003 MIRRORED ARRAY

By gerryw ·
My server crashed and when I rebooted it came up with this error mesage:
A problem is detected with ARRAY: 1

CRITICAL STATUS

A Disk member of a Mirrored Array has failed and is not responding. The Array is still functional, but the FAULT TOLERANCE is disabled.

Before continuing, power off the system and confirm that the drives and cables are properly attached before replacing the failed Drive and rebuilding the Array.

(1) Identify which Drive has failed with the ?> Define Array? menu option.
(2) Power off the system, replace the failed drive.
(3) Restart the system and enter the ?FASTBUILD (?)? setup menu.
(4) Choose the?<5>? option to rebuild the Array with the replacement drive.

I pressed <Esc> and rebooted but up came another Error Message:
Stop: Registry Failure
Reboot and select proper boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and Press a Key.

This is the first time this has happened since the network was setup 2 years ago and I must say that I have not got a clue what to do.

So any help with this problem would be most gratefully accepted!

Regards
Gerryw

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

As you have a Mirrored Array it's much easier

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to PROBLEM WITH WIN SB SERVE ...

What happened is that one HDD has failed and the system is running off the remaining HDD without any redundancy available.

Instead of pressing the Escape Key you should have shut down the system and rebooted and then entered the RAID system tools and discovered which drive is damaged and followed the instructions on how to replace it and rebuild the Array.

From the error massage that you listed it sounds as if one Drive has failed and is no longer working properly and is causing problems to occur when you attempt to boot up- the system by reading corrupted data and attempting to load that.

You generally get into the RAID Controller by pressing the Control and A Keys but you'll have to read the manual for the correct keys to press in your case long before you even begin to enter Windows this is all performed in want of a better word at the BIOS Level of the system and has absolutely nothing at all to do with any OS.

Col

Collapse -

by gerryw In reply to As you have a Mirrored Ar ...

Hi HAL 9000,
Thank you very much for your reply to my problem, it has helped my greatly.

I would ask you when I go into 'FASTBUILD' how will I determine which is the drive that is faulty (I beleive it is PROMISE that is the company that provided RAID) because I do not want to lose all the data by choosing the wrong drive and corrupting it?

I hopefully look forward to receiving a guide to answering this question.

Regards
Gerryw

Collapse -

Gerry This isn't all that easy remotely but from memory you

Identify the faulty drive long before you enter the Fast Build section of the RAID Utility.

In your original post this is what you listed you where told to do

(1) Identify which Drive has failed with the ?> Define Array? menu option.
(2) Power off the system, replace the failed drive.
(3) Restart the system and enter the ?FASTBUILD (?)? setup menu.
(4) Choose the?<5>? option to rebuild the Array with the replacement drive.

Now since you have identified the Faulty drive with the 3 Define Array Option and hopefully replaced the faulty Drive you should remember which Drive it was and then when you enter the Fast Build Section of the RAID Controller you chose to rebuild the drive that's been replaced as it will have the same Number as the one that you have removed so if you removed Drive 1 you would copy from Drive 2 to 1 in the Fast Build or the other way around depending on which of the drives failed.

This should all be in the Manual so you don't mess up and you should have a backup in place as well so that you can recover everything in the event of some catastrophic failure or something worse happening. Even a RAID isn't a fool proof way to backup Data as it's only as secure as the building that it's in and subject to both fire & water damage in the event of something going wrong.

Col

Collapse -

by gerryw In reply to Gerry This isn't all that ...

Hi again HAL 9000,
You are right in saying that I should have closed down the server and rebooted but as I was unsure whether I would jeopardise the integrity of the data on the surviving drive I mistakenly took the wrong option.

However, just to let you know that the mb is and ASUS mb with the Promise controller onboard so the only paperwork is the mb setup booklet which only gives how to setup RAID 1 not how to remedy a failure of one of the drives.

I can still get into 'FASTBUILD' but when I pressed option > it is not very clear which drive has failed. Would I be correct in thinking that the drives would be listed as '0' and '1' as would be normal in a standard ribbon setup i.e. IDE 0 & IDE 1 and shown as much in option >?

Also, the college I am employed by think that because of the RAID setup they dont need any further 'BACKUP' so no funds forthcoming which leaves me trying to make sure that I dont loose all the students hard work accrued since Sept. 2006 by using the 'Rebuild' feature of FastBuild.

So hopefully I havent been to much of a bore and that you may be able to give just that further bit of knowledge that will enable me to rebuild the ARRAY?

Many thanks and regards
Gerryw

Collapse -

I'm just trying to think what I do with these.

My problem is that I'm stuck with Intel server Boards that don't use the Promise Technology RAID Controller so I'll suggest the Hard Way of checking pull both drives download the Drive makers testing utility and test each drive individually . You might even get lucky and get the bad one at the first attempt but if your lucks anything like mine you'll be testing HDD's for 3 weeks before you find the faulty one.

Meaning it will be the last one that you try so if the first one tests as OK just bung that back into the system and a new drive on the other side of the RAID and then use the Fast Rebuild Option from 0 to 1 if they are IDE Drives or 1 to 2 if they are SATA Drives or however the Promise Tech Controller Numbers them. Even if you mess up and use the wrong drive all that will happen is that you'll copy corrupted data around if it will go that far but that's a worst case scenario and you'll know very soon and the copy utility will most likely not run so you can stop the unit and change the first drive in the array with the other one and do it all over again. Then with a look of horror on your face walk in and tell the Head of the Department that because you have no Backup all the Data has been destroyed do you think that the students have backed up their personal work?

Yes I know I'm evil but it works and I manage to ring a few extra $ out of the budget for some form of External Storage even if you just rely on 1 HDD in a USB Enclosure that can be stuck inside a safe in case of fire or something else happening. :^0

Lets know how you get on.

Col

Collapse -

by gerryw In reply to PROBLEM WITH WIN SB SERVE ...

Hi its me again. I have narrowed the problem down to the 'FastBuild' option > which allows one to see which drive is defective. The problem is that my drives are exactly the same and are setup up on the Primary Raid IDE using a single cable to link both drives and they are 'enabled' i.e. cable select. This means that I cannot determine which one is faulty as I dont know which is the Master and which is the slave. Can anybody (or Hal 9000) give me an idea. Perhaps a clue may be the ribbon connectors, would the grey connector (nearest the RAID IDE connector on the motherboard) be the master or is it the the connector furthest away from the RAID IDE connector (I must admit I cant remember which) Help please?

Regards
Gerryw

Collapse -

I hate to be rude....

by CG IT In reply to PROBLEM WITH WIN SB SERVE ...

but if you knew something about hardware and you really think about the problem of identifing which drive is which, the answer is pretty simple.

Further, you didn't identify if this is onboard IDE RAID or a Promise RAID card. Makes a difference. you mention hooking up the RAID with 1 IDE cable, well if it's onboard RAID, you will have two IDE RAID channels. You can't put 2 drives on one IDE RAID channels and have a RAID array.

HAL has given you great suggestions to try out ....but in all fairness here's a hint, the channels, [both SATA and IDE] are all numbered. you'll need the mainboard scematic which comes with the board manual and that scematic will tell you which channel is which connector. From there, if you cant figure out which drive is which, take the thing to a qualified repair tech.

Collapse -

by gerryw In reply to I hate to be rude....

Hi CG IT,
Thank you for your reply to my message. I have actually been involved with computers ever since the Sinclair ZX 81 halcyon days and have built and repaired every type of pc.
Also I did not build this server and yes the IDE RAID is onboard and the Mb is an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe which has an IDE Primary RAID connector to which 2 No. Maxtor 300gb HDs have been connected in tandem on 'one' IDE ribbon and the 'FastTrack' BIOS shows that there is in fact a 1x2 Mirror RAID 1 setup. Both drives have had their jumpers set to 'Enabled' which I believe is equivalent to 'Cable Select', and this is the reason why I am looking for confirmation of which drive is which before I carry out the rebuild via the 'FastBuild' option <5>.

So you see, my question is a valid one and I think that am quite capable of sorting the problem but just wanted a little help from my peers regarding a setup of which I am unfamiliar?

Regards
Gerryw.

Collapse -

OK if they are on 1 IDE Lead

The Drive at the end of the Lead is the Master and the one in the Middle of the Lead is the Slave.

So the Master or Disc 0 is on the end of the IDE Lead and the Slave or Disc 1 is in the middle of the IDE Lead.

I hope that is of some help.

Col

Collapse -

Asus K8V SE

by CG IT In reply to OK if they are on 1 IDE L ...

has 2 IDE channels and 2 SATA channels. SATA supports RAID 0 striped and RAID 1 Mirrored.

I don't see how IDE plays a role in RAID if your trying to RAID 1 Mirror.

here's a link to Asus K8V SE motherboard manual.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=K8V-X%20SE

Back to Networks Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next