Problem with wireless driver in Compaq CQ61-415EI with XP

By saltjohn.john ·
I have installed Windows XP Pro on a Compaq Presario CQ61, downgraded to XP as I am told this machine was built for Vista. I have managed to download and installed all drivers successfully except the network controller which I am unable to find since the laptop did not come with drivers. I prefer to stick with XP and not have to move to Vista. Please advise on where I can get the correct network controller that will work with XP on the CQ61-415EI and whether this will resolve the wireless problem. In my device manager, there is only item which is in yellow with a question mark showing and says the driver for network controller is not installed. The device is enable but no driver installed. My bluetooth is on, but the wireless is disabled. Please help me, I need to use wireless on this laptop to access home wireless internet. I downloaded the file SP4522.exe for wireless from the site i was recommend, but still the wireless doesn't work on the laptop, and the network controller is still yellow with a question mark in device manager. No success yet. I am really desperate. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

It appears that the only driver

by tintoman In reply to Problem with wireless dri ...

Available from HP Compaq for that model is the one for Windows 7.
I would suggest that you download and run CPU-Z from the following location
This programme will identify your motherboard and chipset, then you can go looking for drivers from the motherboard manufacturer instead of HP

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)