Question

Problem with Wireless Subnet connecting to a Windows 2003 Server

By aceman040 ·
First Post - I am in the process of setting up a network for my friend, while going to class for MCSE.I have set up a LAN with on a 10.10.10.0 ip network; on it are a Windows 2003 Server (ip addy: 10.10.10.2), a 28 port switch (10.10.10.1), a firewall (10.10.10.254) connected to a cable modem. I was then going to make a wireless subnet using a wireless router on 10.10.11.0, giving the router a .1 address attaching it to the firewall, no matter what I did, I could not get the wireless router to get out to the internet or get access into my LAN. I changed the network address to my LAN's subnet and I can configure and see the router on the LAN, I can get out to it using a laptop wired to the router, yet I can't do so wirelessly. The laptop will not connect to the server or internet, no matter if I staticly assign an IP or DHCP. The router is now connected to the switch and not connected to the firewall, still nothing. I have ensured that the router gives out addresses from 10.5 to .50 and the switch from .100 to 150. I am stumped, what do I have to do on the server or the other equipment to allow the wireless clients access? I intend on enabling VPN once everything is correctly configured, I figured that is my next hurdle after this issue is corrected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using AD on the server with the latest service packs. Resources and How to's would be a good thing. Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

One step at a time

by Churdoo In reply to Problem with Wireless Sub ...

So are we to assume that the device that you're calling your firewall at 10.10.10.254 some SOHO router/firewall appliance? And your networks are 24-bit, i.e. mask 255.255.255.0? Do you really want your wireless clients "behind" the second router such that they're segregated from the first network by NAT, I think probably not if you want them to access device(s) on the first network and presumably vice-versa.

So I guess let's start by getting your wireless devices internet access.

In your first scenario, wanting to set up the wireless network 10.10.11.0/24, The WAN interface of your Wireless router needs to be on the 10.10.10.0/24 network, and should be connected to either the switch or the first router (assuming the switch is uplinked to the first router). I would statically assign the WAN interface of the wireless router, and use for example 10.10.10.253 and the default gateway for that interface is 10.10.10.254. The LAN interface of the Wireless router can be 10.10.11.1 and can have DHCP enabled. Assuming your wired clients on the 10.10.10.0/24 network get internet access (i.e. your first network and router are set up properly), then your wireless clients should at least now have internet connectivity.

The above should work and pretty much should have worked out of the box. Suggest possibly doing a factory reset on the wireless appliance and start again. If not, post back models and perhaps we can help more.

Relative to getting LAN access for your wireless clients, there are potentially two things in the way.
1. a lot of wireless/router appliances have a default "isolation" mode for security where the wireless clients are permitted to only have internet access. You may have to find this setting on your wireless/router appliance and disable it
2. the default NAT mode of the wireless/router appliance will disallow things on the 10.10.10.0/24 network from accessing your wireless clients. If you do indeed want the wireless clients in a separate network, then consider what kind of access your first LAN will need of the wireless clients, and you may consider turning the wireless/router appliance into its "router" mode versus "gateway" mode. Router mode will disable NAT and the appliance will act more like a router.

Hope this helps

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)