General discussion

problems on Win2000 Server install

By Borg7of9 ·
I have installed WIn2000 Server SP4, clean install on new system, NOT yet connected to network. As its a server, I did a basic install, then installed mother board drivers a few days later, and I let system burn in, to see if there are any problems.

The Mother board is a Asus P4V8X-X with an Intel P4 2.8, drives , 2 x 160 gig maxtors. ( tested Maxtor drives, with MaxBlast before and after installing OS, and drives passed all tests. (although test does not see partition on second drive, even though it is partitioned and formatted and working fine) all other tests pass ( loop test, so passed many times )

The drivers are the "VIa PT800/P4X533 series" drivers.

I have 2 event ID's that I can not figure out. Both related to Hard drive & Controller, as follows
1)
Source Disk
Category None
Event ID 11

The driver detected a controller error on \device\harddisk0\DRO

2)
Source ATAPI
Category None
Event ID 5

A parity error was detected on\device\IDE\IDEPORT0

Microsoft says that the most likely cause is a bad cable, and I changed but this appears not to be the problem. I couldn't find any more info on these event ID's.

As for the system, it will re-boot itself, but only about every 2 to 4 days. As the system so far is stand alone, and never connected to a network or internet, it can not be a virus.

Anyone have any ideas the best way to trouble shoot this. The only thing I can think of , is the actual motherboard drivers.
:)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by keith In reply to problems on Win2000 Serve ...

The drive is going out, Find out what is device\harddisk0\DRO useally the harddrive and run a Manufactors test utility on it.
Keith

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to problems on Win2000 Serve ...

As I have said in the orginal post, I have run the maxblast software many times, and both drives pass.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to problems on Win2000 Serve ...

OK when you installed Windows 200 Server did it need the M'Board Drivers to work?

If it didn't then most likely it already had the latest available for the M'Board and installing the drivers that came with the M'Board have caused a conflict that Windows is experiencing problems with.

As you didn't mention if these are IDE or SATA drives I'm taking it that you have IDE Drives and since they are both working correctly they seem to be jumpered and set correctly but I would still change the IDE Lead as I spent days fault finding a faulty brand new IDE lead a few years ago now. It worked perfectly on XP until I installed SP1 and then everything fell into a heap on the ground with no MBR's on the HDD's.

I managed to cure it by fitting one of the round leads from Antec and it worked perfectly after wards although the IDE lead in question didn't show any fault and looked perfect although I must admit I binned it and didn't try it on another computer as I had already wasted far too much time on it and I couldn't even afford to waste the time trying it in another computer as the work had backed up so much. Of course I had to bin it just in case it somehow got picked up and fitted to another computer and caused the same problem.

As MaxBlaster isn't picking up the partition on the second drive it really isn't passing the test properly even though it may be reported as working OK so change the lead to one that is known as good and try it from there.

I hope this is of some help if not post back and I'll see what else I can come up with.

Col

Collapse -

by Borg7of9 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

OK, trouble shooting a few problems at a time sometimes leads one down the wrong path. The event id's were rleated to sata drives which are not installed, so once I disabled the controller in the bios, event id's went away.

Collapse -

Also, the drives were ok, I dont know how I got to this point, but once I re-installed the OS, both drives were ok.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)