General discussion

Problems Suse linux 2.6 and windows 2000

By rgilaard ·
Hi there,
I installed suse linux 9.1 with the 2.6 kernel and I've noticed some problems with dual booting. When I boot into windows I do get my data on the C partition but I used to also have a D partition and that is gone. I still see a d -drive but when I click on it, it says that it isn't formatted.

Look at my disk geometry:

DEVICE SIZE F TYPE MOUNT BEGIN END
/dev/hda 57.2GB 5T060H6 0 119149
/dev/hda1 30.9GB Linux native / 54841 119149
/dev/hda2 6.8GB HPFS/NTFS /windows/C 0 14199
/dev/hda3 19.5GB EXTENDED 14200 54840
/dev/hda5 16.9GB HPFS/NTFS 14201 49433
/dev/hda6 499.5GB Linux swap swap 49434 50448

So it seems the disk partitioning tool resized my D partition and put linux's swap partition after it. So when I delete my swap partition from yast2, it deletes th whole /dev/hda5 partition. And because I have data on it, that's NOT what I want.

So I want windows 2000 back.

What should I do? And how?

1) Can I delete the linux partitions in Yast2, first the swap and then the linux native? And then hope that windows 2000 will be able to find the lost /dev/hda5 part back?

2) Is there another way to get my windows data back?

Please help, it's urgent.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Absolutely In reply to Problems Suse linux 2.6 a ...

"So when I delete my swap partition from yast2, it deletes th whole /dev/hda5 partition. And because I have data on it, that's NOT what I want."

Remember that when the interface says "delete the partition", it's actually deleting the description of that partition in the partition tables, not re-formatting the entire partition, so that might be exactly what you want. If you're right about yast2 taking part of your Windows drive and turning it into swap space, you might even expect that changing the partition tables to de-allocate that swap space would also change the way that your "D:" drive is recognized. Does the initial size of that partition match what you see in the partition tables, if you include the swap partition?

I would recommend the option you listed as 1) although I can't guarantee that you will regain your data this way, because the last time I dual-booted Linux I decided to make sure that it is at least on its own physical disk. At present, your data is lost, so I would say you have only data to gain and nothing to lose.

I do not know of any other tool or utility that will recognize the Linux swap file system, so look within Linux support pages is the rest of the best advice I can offer.

And good luck!

Back to Desktop Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)