General discussion

Processor running constant 100%

By bob ·
Laptop PC, 2+ Ghz, gig DDR.
The RAM registers as installled and running at less than 50% load, but the processor registers as running 87 to 100% all the time.
Applications take forever to load, if ever.
Error messages concerning not enough memory to perform the requested function appear perodically.
These are new RAM chips, but quite sure that they are the correct pieces for this machine, even though not PC manufacturer brand.
No processes, out of the ordinary appear to be running to make the processor work this hard.
What else should I be looking at? Am I missing something? Would the pagefile have any berring on this situation?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by statykserver In reply to Processor running constan ...

Have you tried starting the "laptop pc" in safe mode to see if you are having the same problem. If you are I would give a guess that the ram should be exchanged. If not then stop all programs, and unnecessary services from loading at startup, then start one by one till you determine which is the faulty application. Another area to look at is have you installed any new hardware, maybe a driver issue? Here is a nifty, FREE advanced task manager that may help you more quickly determine your problem. http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Collapse -

by statykserver In reply to

Quote " This laptop employs Microsoft's Antispyware Beta and Panda Titanium 2005 for realtime protection against malware. Spybot and AdAware are also loaded and have been run"
End Quote

It seems you have too many programs doing the same thing at the same time. I installed Kaspersky and Antivir antivirus programs and when they ran at the same time the slowed the system down to a crawl. I uninstalled Kaspersky and left Antivir running and things were back to normal. Spybot, Adaware, and Microsoft's antispyware are all free so try removing those 3 programs to see if this helps. Also I've seen Panda in the past as a big resource hog, so if you have the install disk I suggest to remove that one also.
Disclaimer: This is just to determine what is causing the problem, some protection will be required.

Collapse -

by NormH3 In reply to Processor running constan ...

You have not mentioned whether or not you are running Norton AV or not. If you are running the corporate edition, see if disabling it in services solves the issue. If so, uninstall LiveUpdate and install the latest version from Symantec. If you aren't running Norton...nevah mind

Collapse -

by bob In reply to Processor running constan ...

Firstly, no Nortons. Don't use the product.
Then, I have used a third party app to explore the running processes and those scheduled to run at startup.
I went to startup/iamnotageek's website for assistance in determining which processes could be turned off and which better left to run.
With the third party app, I shut off everything not absolutely necessary. It still runs the processor full out.
Thanks for the attempts, all.
Please don't stop now. There must be an answer to this problem.

Collapse -

by ozi Eagle In reply to Processor running constan ...

Hi,
I suspect you are clogged up with spy/ad/crapware.
Use any of spybot, adaware, or my favourite adwareaway.

Collapse -

by bob In reply to Processor running constan ...

This laptop employs Microsoft's Antispyware Beta and Panda Titanium 2005 for realtime protection against malware. Spybot and AdAware are also loaded and have been run. All IE toolbars and search assistance apps have been removed. This machine is as malware free as one can get.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Processor running constan ...

Well in that case it sounds like either a Bad install of Windows or a Hardware problem. The easy answer would be to replace the HDD and reload Windows to see if the CPU is still running at 100% usage.

As you are getting Memory Shortage Messages are you sure that the computer is actually mapping all of the RAM?

If it is you can always increase the size of the Page File if you are running a NT Variant of Windows or the Swap File Size if you have one of the DOS based Windows Version in place.

If the Page File/Swap File has been limited in size that could also account for the CPU usage and error messages do you have enough space left clear on the HDD?

Col

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to

With 1 GIG of RAM you should have at least 1.5 to 20 GIG available for the Page File or Swap File. Also if you are running Windows 98 have you edited the Registry to make full use of the available RAM?

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Processor running constan ...

What hot fixes for the OS have been installed?

Latest drivers from the manufacturer?

Collapse -

by Sue T In reply to Processor running constan ...

Just some thoughts. Did you have this problem before you replaced the ram? Did you leave any of the original ram in the computer and just put in the new chips? Did you try removing all but one stick of ram and seeing if the problem goes away (do this for each stick) because even though it is new it could still be bad. Also, some computers are just extremely picky when it comes to ram. I replaced memory on 30 computers with memory that was supposed to be for this motherboard and on some of the computers it worked beautifully but on others it either caused problems or prevented the computer from even booting. (Try and get your money back when that happens). Did you try reseating the memory? I have also run into this problem on several computers at work and when I check task manager it has always been my anti virus causing the problem and I have to reboot to safe mode and reinstall it and this will usually fix the problem.

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next