General discussion

Project 2000 vs ABT - Comparison

By Levertz ·
Has anyone done a comparison of MS Project 2000 and ABT. I am interested in the differences in functions and features so I can determine which is best to use for my very large project.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by RealGem In reply to Project 2000 vs ABT - Com ...

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. But, I'm comparing MSP2K to ABT version 4, not RM5.

On the whole, MSP is nicer to use. It has more features and lets you accomplish things quicker. But, I don't like the way that it forces you to trade off effort, duration, and # staff assigned when you are estimating tasks. ABT lets you schedule tasks as the resources come available, but I haven't seen the same flexibility with MSP. Other people that I've talked to feel the same way about MSP.

However, I should mention that I have more experience with ABT than with MSP. It may be that I just haven't figured out the tool yet, although the instructor that I had indicated that what I wanted to do wasn't possible. That's a shame because one thing you can count on with IT projects is being resource-constrained.

One mitigating factor for MSP is that Microsoft appears to be improving their product much more quickly than ABT is. I would say that MSP is upgraded about twice as often. MS also appears to be taking their product to the high end of the market.

Both MSP2K and ABT (version 5) have good "workgroup" functions. MSP2K has "Project Central" that runs on a RDBMS back end and can be accessed via your browser. ABT with their RM5 has the same function. RM5 is more modular, but I haven't really investigated RM5 much.

If you are talking about very large projects, I would tend to say stick with ABT. Consensus is that RM5 is a better "enterprise" product than MSP2K. MSP2K is also newer than RM5, so perhaps RM5 will be more stable.

Collapse -

by Levertz In reply to Project 2000 vs ABT - Com ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

I cannot compare MSP with ABT, not having worked with the latter. I have experience with CA Superproject (Computer Associates). I do have the same problems with MSP 97 as the previous answer. I do not trust the outcome of their leveller as it seems to provide different answers under different settings of the system. this particulary disturbing when sending copies of plans to other interested parties.
I do share the concern about the trade offs made in MP97. I had hoped that MP 2000 would improve but sofar no luck.
I wuold never recommend MSP for larger projects and projects with shared resources.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to IT Employment Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)