General discussion

Promise SX6000 used with ASUS A7V333 MB

By greenego ·
I am trying to set up Raid 5 using a Promise SX6000 controller with a ASUS A7V333 MotherBD. The motherboard does not have the build in promise controller. The problem I am having is using an AGP vidio card. It will not boot with an AGP card installed. I tried two different cards. It works fine with a PCI vidio card. Promise told me it was a motherbd bios problem. I up dated the bios, no change. Anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this and how to work around?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Promise SX6000 used with ...

1. Check the default IRQ assignments for the slots on the motherboard.
You may simply need to move the Promise card to a different slot to eliminate any conflict.

2. Will the system boot with the AGP card, with the Promise card removed?
I have had far too many AGP cards that did not seat fully cause boot problems, that the first thing I do at any sign of problems is to remove the bracket on the card, and see if it seats any further in the AGP socket.
Because of the interleaved pins, an AGP card need only be a few 0.001" from fully seated to cause problems.

Chas

Collapse -

by greenego In reply to Promise SX6000 used with ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

The system will boot without the controller card with AGP. I move the controller card to different slots. No luck. I then went into the system bios and assigned IRQ 15 to the slot I placed the controller card in. No luck.

Collapse -

Okay,

I took a look at Promise's web site.

They are aware of conflicts on some (Intel) motherboards and Nvidia based AGP cards.

So, the same issue may be affecting your ASUS board.

Here is the text from the Promise FAQ:

If the problemcontinues, disable Quick/Rapid/Fast/Silent boot.
If the problem still continues, disable Boot from LAN.
If the problem still continues and you have a NVIDIA video card, remove it and try a different make of video card.
If the problem still continues, remove all the controllers from your system, leaving only a Video controller and the Promise controller. Then call Promise Technical Support Department.

I suspect that they have some "custom" work-around that they do not want to publish at this time.

Best of luck,

Chas

Collapse -

I have tried two different video cards with different chip sets. I contacted Promise Tech support. Their answer was I may have to use a PCI card

Collapse -

Wow!

Talk about poor support / design.

With Promise's attitude on this, and the problems you are having, I would look for a different brand controller card that has the features you need.

You might give High-Point Technologies, or Tekram a try.

I agree with you, that you should not have to give up AGP just to have the IDE controller you want.

Chas

Collapse -

Thanks for trying. I may try another Motherboard.

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)