General discussion

Promoting a 2000 as an additional DC

By marc.mawson ·
i have a single domain forest that supports 500 users, i have in total 18 sites (all connected by a x.23 WAN) each site has its own DC as the WAN links are very slow (64k each) the DC also acts as a file server and a local DHCP server and a global catalogue etc... i had an issue with one of the DC's on a site so i demoted it and then i tried to repromte it, but when i came to repromoting it it failed with

unable to modify computer account for 'computername$' access is denied

i disabled netlogon on all but 1 of the DC's
i did the user rights delegation fix (as recommended by MS) deleted the computer account unjoined it from the domain and tried again but to my horror it keeps on coming back with the same error message no matter what i do, i even built a new 2k srv and tried to pormote that but same thing, any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Promoting a 2000 as an ad ...

When you demote a DC, the computer account should move into the Computers container. I hope that account still exists and you have the appropiate rights to that container to change it.

Collapse -

by marc.mawson In reply to Promoting a 2000 as an ad ...

HI,

i am using the DOMAIN\administrator account to try and re-promote the server, which as my understanding has access to all objects

Collapse -

by info In reply to Promoting a 2000 as an ad ...

I have received that same masseage and no matter what I tried I still can;t create a so called BDC for my w2k network MS has stated it is a bug but how can they clain it is a networking OS when one can;t add machines to it
If you find a fix please let mwe know

thanks

Collapse -

by marc.mawson In reply to Promoting a 2000 as an ad ...

Hi,i did manage to fix this one, i put the machine in question on the same sub net as my PDC emulator, and used it for DNS etc... and it worked. But i had the same problem trying to promote a new DC, and that didnt work, i introduced my first 2003 DC (after a friend of mine told me that forest prep for 2003 server fixes some AD bugs) and its been fine since, it even fixed some replication issues

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)