General discussion

"Public" Contacts?, Exg 5.5/Otlk2000

By Tmiller3 ·
My company is just setting up a server based network where we are using Exchange 5.5 Server with Outlook 2000 Clients. I can't believe there is not a simple way to set up Public Contacts in Exchange that reside on the server and are accessible to all, such as vendors and customers. The only way I've found so far is to share a Contacts folder from and individual to the rest of the company through Outlook. Is there a server based way, or some 3rd party software? Seems like the answer should be obvious, but my consultants have no help so far.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by suemvp In reply to "Public" Contacts?, Exg 5 ...

Outlook is the only tool that Exchange Server provides for creating contacts folders.

You can set up a public contacts folder under Public Folders that will be available to everyone inside the organization. It is also possible, but not common, to grant anonymous access to a folder, which would serve your external vendors. Even though the Outlook Web Access in Exchange 5.5 does not directly support web access to a public contacts folder, there is some code at http://www.cdolive.com that demonstrates that this can indeed be done.

The Outlook Web Access in Exchange 2000, FWIW, does support web access to a public contacts folder.

Collapse -

by suemvp In reply to "Public" Contacts?, Exg 5 ...

It's easy to create a new contacts folder in Public Folders:

1. Check with the administrator to find out where you have rights to create a folder.
2. Choose File | New | Folder and select the parent folder under Public Folders/All Public Folders where you want your new folder to reside.
3. Select that you want the folder to contain Contact items.

Collapse -

by Tmiller3 In reply to "Public" Contacts?, Exg 5 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Part Answer #1 says: "You can set up a public contacts folder under Public Folders that will be available to everyone inside the organization." How would I do this? I understand creating a PST file for contacts and locating that file in a public director on the server, but only 1 person can open a PST folder at a time, correct?? Not interested in the web access feature. Just for people internal to the company to have a central place where they access contacts from instead of having to maintain there own Contact folder.

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to "Public" Contacts?, Exg 5 ...

In the client view you should be able to find the Public Folders (easiest if you have the Folder View turned on). Under the All Public Folders create a new contact Folder and populate the vendor contacts in their. All your Outlook users can have access (you can use Exchange security and limit the type of access) to the Public Folder at the same time.
Are your clients setup to receive their email to PSTs or are your users set with a delivery location pointed to the users mailbox and not pst's.

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to "Public" Contacts?, Exg 5 ...

From these responses, what I can see that I really need to know is how to CREATE a public folder on the Exchange Server which is "configured for Exchange Server" (wording used in the exchange book). The instructions are not really straight forward in the Exchange Server documentation, and I am having trouble finding the time to play with it.
Some of my users are receiving to PST folders (Laptop users) and some are not (desktops).

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)