Question

Put Windows Server 2003 on a external hard drive

By joel.clyburn ·
how can i put windows server 2003 on my external hard drive and boot from it at home on my computer to do lab work and homework for school?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You

by Jacky Howe In reply to Put Windows Server 2003 o ...

would be better off using Microsoft Virtual PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx

Collapse -

but...

by joel.clyburn In reply to You

im in 2 classes right now that use server 2003 so i would like to get more familiar with that first...and then next semester i am taking a class for making a virtual pc using bart pe

so for now i just want to play around on server '03

Collapse -

Well, what problem are you

by ComputerCookie In reply to but...

having trying to do this. Also what OS is on the PC!

Collapse -

well...

by joel.clyburn In reply to Well, what problem are yo ...

im actaully just trying to put server '03 on the external hard drive so i can boot straight from that...i already set the bios to boot from a usb so now all i need to do is get it server '03 to run

Collapse -

So you've already installed 2003 onto the

by ComputerCookie In reply to well...

external hard drive.

Collapse -

No

by joel.clyburn In reply to So you've already install ...

i havent put server 03 on anything...im trying to get it on my external hard drive then set the bios to boot from a usb when i start up so it starts server 03 from the get go

Collapse -

As suggested by true blue

by ComputerCookie In reply to No

if you connect it as a slave it will install, however you'd have to modify the boot.ini!

Not sure of the best way as I've never tried it, I've only ever booted from USB devices that had ghost images on them and USB support was used in the creation of the images!

Collapse -

Here is a way

by Jacky Howe In reply to You

but I still think that you would be better off using Microsoft Virtual PC.

Take the hard drive out of the external caddie, plug the hard drive in internally, install SBS, take out the hard drive, put it back in the external caddie. Set the BIOS to boot from the USB drive.

See how it goes.

Edit: Update
I might not have made it clear enough. Remove the External Drive from the Caddy. Set it as Master. Disconnect the cable and power lead from your internal Drive and connect it to the External Drive. Install the Operating System. Remove the Drive and put it back in the Caddy. Reconnect your Internal Drive and reboot to test that it is working properly.
Set the BIOS to Boot from USB Hard Drive. Save settings and when it restarts turn off the Power. Connect the External Drive and restart the PC.

Collapse -

Why boot to USB?

by ken In reply to Put Windows Server 2003 o ...

Why boot to the USB. Just add another drive and setup a multi boot system.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/8572be9b-8580-49f7-9719-b3a4c42749fe1033.mspx.
You will lose alot of speed using USB 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s) where as ATA is 133 MB/s,and SATA is 150 MB/s with SATA II at 300MB/s.

Back to Networks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)