Question

Question about clustering Sql Server Standard 2005

By greavette ·
Hello,

I am thinking of setting up the following configuration:

Two servers. Both running Windows XP Pro.
Each Server runs a virtual O/S in VMWare.
Server 1: Runs VM Windows 2003 Standard
Server 2: Runs VM Windows XP Pro

I will buy 1 copy of SQL Server Standard 2005 and install it in both VM's so that I may cluster the database (active/passive).

I have 10 PC's that connect to deposit data into the database therefore I will need to buy 10 licenses for Sql Server Standard 2005. Since none of the 10 PC's are connecting to either VM to save data in a shared folder I don't think I need to buy any User CALS.

My questions are:

Will this work to cluster on two different O/S in the VM (Win XP and Win 2003)?

Have I bought enough licenses?

Do I need a third PC to monitor the two VM's or does the passive database automatically check for a heartbeat on the active database?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Charles.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

All kinds of issues here

by BFilmFan In reply to Question about clustering ...

You are going to run out of connections quickly, as XP is limited to 10 simulatenous connections at a time.

You have not purchased enough licenses. Why are you buying 10 copies of SQL standard for clients rather than using an OBDC connection to reach the database.

You are going to have performance issues as virtualized systems experience a 40% hit in disk IO performance compared to actual RAID 5 drives.

How do you plan to account for the cluster heartbeat between the nodes?

Here's my recommendation:

You buy a copy of Vmware ESX and set up on a server.

You then set up 3 virtual SQL cluster nodes in an active/active/passive node array.

You would need 3 licenses to do that.

You would then have the clients connect to the virtual SQL cluster name for their access to the database.

And just for the record, Windows XP is desktop software, not a server OS.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)