General discussion

Question on versions of Server 2003

By sostermann ·
One more question:

Regarding putting together a plan for upgrading the previously discussed network upgrades:

As I understand it, Small Business Server 2003 can only be installed on one computer in the domain. Assuming this is correct I am planning on upgrading our network with the Domain Controller running Small Business Server 2003 and the remaining servers (Application, File, Web) running Server 2003 Standard.

Is this the correct configuration for the OS's or is there anything I should know about?

Figuring out the pros and cons to the different version of server OS's is very confusing. Thank you again for any help!

Shawn~

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Question on versions of S ...

lots of misconceptions about Small Business Server and what can be or can not be done with it.

Yes, the Small Business Server software can only be installed on 1 box. The reason for this is that it can not establish trusts between domains. The reason for that is MS believes that if you need more than one domain, your not a small business therefore buy the standard Windows 2003 server.

You can install other servers on a SBS network. You can have redudant DC's. You can have sites with DCs. The only restriction is that they have to belong to the same domain which is the SBS domain.

For your remaining 2 servers, you can have W2K server or W2003 server on a SBS network. so if you have a W2K server you don't have to upgrade it [unless you've got the $$ to do it]. If you buy the premium edition of SBS with ISA server you can have a web server on your network and publish that server in ISA but again, best practice security wise is to not have a any server that is hosting public services on the company network.

Windows 2003 server comes in different flavors just like W2K. whats new is the Web server edition. Mostly to compete with Linux.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

I dunno Shultz why you would say its bad. Go get a free trial version of it and run it.

Small Business Sever is the same as Windows 2003 Server with the exception that it can not establish trusts with other domains e.g. single forest multiple domain or mutiple forest multiple domains. Thats the only difference. If a company requires multiple domains, they don't need Small Business Server anyways. Small Business Server can have other servers on it. Microsoft Best Practice is to have redundancy and you can have that with Small Business Server [typically a small business doesn't though. Can't afford mutiple servers]. Besides a small business doesn't need a server that is this muscle bound dual processors, GB's or memory and huge SCSI arrays of drives server. With 20 users whats the point.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Question on versions of S ...

if you have the budget to get multiple servers, i wonder why in the heck you would even consider SBS. i would stay far far away from it in an environment that required multiple servers. it is a false economy and a bad way for you to learn AD and 2003 is my opinion. you budgeting in training for yourself, yes???

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Question on versions of S ...

Maybe I'm missing something here but why do you want 2003 SBE in front of 2 servers running 2003 Standard?

Wouldn't it make much more sense and be cheaper to use the standard version of 2003 on all the servers?

After all you'll be looking at the Volume License copies and a License is far cheaper than an OEM copy.

Col

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)