General discussion

RAM, Windows 98 vs Windows 2000

By tjdevos ·
I have been hearing Windows 2000 handles RAM more efficiently than Windows 98. I can not locate documentation other than Microsoft docs. I need to know how much RAM Win98 will efficiently use. I know Win2k will use over 2GB of RAM. I have a client running CAD software who is hesitant to switch to Windows 2000 from Win98. They have 256MB on a P!!! 800 system. I believe they will see a preformance increase with Windows 2000, can anyone PLEASE offer some assistance in supporting my opinion?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to RAM, Windows 98 vs Window ...

What I can tell you from personal experience is that a machine with 64meg of RAM running memory intensive applications is much more stable under Windows2000 than Win98.

But at 256meg, I don't think your user will necessarily see a performance increase. However, provided the CAD software is compatible with Win2K, there should be a payoff with increased stability and that might help his productivity.

I would proceed cautiously as I've seen a number of high-end proprietary software productsthat have problems with W2K and there may be some driver issues as well.

paul

Collapse -

by tjdevos In reply to RAM, Windows 98 vs Window ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to RAM, Windows 98 vs Window ...

Switching operating systems will not make a noticable change in machine performance.
There are issues with some 98 systems having problems with memory above 512meg.

System performance with the following:
CPU Speed increase
Memory increase, ifthe program can utilize it.
Hard Drive speed increase. 5400,7200,10000 rpm ect

Hope this helps

Lee

Collapse -

Collapse -

by gsharpjr In reply to RAM, Windows 98 vs Window ...

In my experience, I do not believe that you will see a big increase in performance with the upgrade. Windows 2000 does handle RAM better but, I believe the only true way to be sure of an increase in performance would be to upgrade the hardware. Running CAD with a workstation that has a 7200 RPM hard drive and a 200MHZ bus could definitely increase performance. But, is the cost worth it?

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)