Question

Recovering Outlook 2007 folders and contacts

By karen.paddison ·
I was using office suite 2007 on Windows XP operating system. My hard drive crashed and I re-installed apps. I was unable to re-install office 2007 so installed office 2003. My problem is that I am trying to recover folders, contacts, previous mail items in my outlook. I don't know where they were stored on my hard drive. I am a customer of shaw and they told me this was not stored on their servers but it was on my local pc. If I can recover the files, I need to import into outlook 2003.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I think that...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Recovering Outlook 2007 f ...

unless you deliberately backed up your folders and contacts in a 2003 format .pst file, you may be unable to import the 2007 data files you need.

Try here:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup2007.asp

HTH

edit typo

Collapse -

Chances are... you can not...

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Recovering Outlook 2007 f ...

Outlook 2003 probably won't be able to recognize the files stored in Outlook 2007. Where Outlook 2007 can import from older versions, the reverse is hardly ever true.

Collapse -

And thank you so much Uncle Billy...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Chances are... you can no ...

for letting us know this before it's too late.

Collapse -

Most software is that way....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to And thank you so much Unc ...

It's just a fact of life that we live with. Old software usually can't import from newer versions of the same, especially when those newer versions "convert" the data. Nearly everything I own is that way, Family Tree Maker being the worst. Once you've gone "new", you can never go back.

Collapse -

Yeah, too true...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Most software is that way ...

once you know, it's not such a problem. Unfortunately, too many first-time, and casual users don't know. God knows the manufacturers aren't telling them when trying to sell the newest machine, OS, software. Burns me.

Keeps me from playing more in Vista, too. Vista is not gonna like most of my software.

Collapse -

If you've got old programs or games boxfiddler, these can run under Vista.

Right click on the icon of the program or game and select "properties > compatibility" and then select " run this program in compatibility mode" and then select which flavour of Windows you want the program or game to run under. The compatibility mode goes as far back as Win95.
Hope this helps you with your games (or programs).

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Collapse -

Thanks Peconet...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to If you've got old program ...

my big one is Quickbooks 05. My understanding is that QB versions prior to 07 won't install/run properly, due to the way those versions write to the registry.

I get to play in Vista at work. I'm none too keen on it anyway. I might just try to install QB on my work machine, see what happens.

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)