General discussion

Redesign of SBS2003 Network

By amw2003 ·
Existing network: SBS2003 running AD, DNS, DHCP, RRAS, Exchange 2003, SQL Server 2000. RRAS configured to allow VPN access. Internet access via a USB DSL modem connected to the server, and shared via RRAS. 6 users currently use the network (3 XP Pro, 1 Win2K, 2 WinXPHome).

Here are my issues:

1) I want to introduce a wireless access on the network, and I'm thinking of replacing the USB DSL modem with an ethernet modem router.

Since most DSL modem routers and wireless routers today host services such as NAT, DHCP, etc., these devices will duplicate many of the services already hosted on the SBS2003 box.

What's the best way of incorporating these devices on the LAN so that I can continue providing shared internet access, VPN access, etc?

2) Sometimes I lose my DSL connection, and find that I have to restart the SBS2003 box to re-establish the conection. I should just be able to reconnect to the internet thru RRAS, but many times this doesn't work. Any ideas on this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Redesign of SBS2003 Netwo ...

#1. if you lose your DSL connection you should not reboot the server. Rebooting the server all the time is bad. To many services running that depend on other services that reboots can mess up.

#2. SQL server doesn't like reboots because even though it runs on the same box, it still must connect. Rebooting can cause problems there.

#3. you do not connect to the internet via RRAS. RRAS is for remote clients to connect to you.

#4. regarding losing internet connectivity, how is the SBS box setup? 1 NIC or 2? regardless of how many NICs you have [SBS runs best in the 2 NIC configuration] have you run the connect to the internet wizard form the "Things to Do" list? if not run the wizard. This probably will solve that problem.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

#5. you use Wireless Access Points in a SBS environment NOT Wireless routers. A wireless router will subnet the LAN and cause you more headache than you need. An Access Point isn't a router rather works like a wired switch, therefore clients connection are on the same subnet [unlike if you use a router].

Collapse -

by rkuhn In reply to Redesign of SBS2003 Netwo ...

If you're talking about buying the retail, el cheapo modem/routers like a Linksys or D-Link, they can be used as an AP and are cheaper.

You can turn off the DHCP and NAT functionality then give the WAN connection a static internal IP as well as giving the LAN the exact same internal IP.

I've done this at home using a DI-624 and a DI-614+ by D-Link.

If you are talking about buying something a bit more substantial, that's different. Then a router is a router and an AP is an AP.

Either way, I'd use the modem/router for the NAT addressing and DHCP. You've already got a lot of services on the server already.

In addition, these devices typically have some form of Linux or proprietary OS that is more secure than a Windows box.

Lastly, right now if your server goes down your connection goes down...think patching, maintenance, etc.

If you let the router do the work, if the server goes down you still have internet access.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)