General discussion

Relpacing Harddrive in Win2000 Server

By pricepd ·
I have an old 4Gig harddrive in my Win2000 PDC & and it is 97% full. I have purchased a new 30Gig Harddrive to replace it. Is there a way to mirror or image the old harddrive to the new one without removing both hard drives and putting them on another machine to do the copy.

I guess I needd to know my options i.e. 1. Reinstall win2000 server, 2. Copy or mirror the old harddrive to the new one some how, 3. Remove both harddrives and put them on another machine and do the copy there (willthat even work?).

Can anyone help?

Preston

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rcurtis In reply to Relpacing Harddrive in Wi ...

You are best to use Norton Ghost.
Put your new drive in the server as a Secondary drive, configure and create 2 partitions, then run ghost and make an image of your primary drive, save it to the 2nd partition on your secondary drive.
Then when it is finished, write the image from the 2nd partition to your 1st partition of your secondary drive.
Remove your primary drive (4gb) and set your secondary drive as active, and jumper it to master if you have to...
that should work for you....GL

Collapse -

by pricepd In reply to Relpacing Harddrive in Wi ...
Collapse -

by rob In reply to Relpacing Harddrive in Wi ...

The other answer about ghost was raight but you can use another way. Install the new drive as slave in your server, create a boot disk with Ghost. Reboot the machine with the boot disk and do a disk to disk copy. Re-set the jumpers on the drives and voila. Ghost works really well on FAT and NTFS drives if you boot from a Ghost disk.

Collapse -

Collapse -

How does Ghost work? Can it copy files that are in use (such as system files). I use ARCServe as a backup utility, and I back up the server everynight. Could I just restore my backup of the PDC to the new drive?

Collapse -

by Izz In reply to Relpacing Harddrive in Wi ...

Well there are two options to extend your already existing partition in 2k. First and what is most improtant is that the hard drive should not have been partitioned with fdisk, if so then even converting it to dynamic will not help you to extend thevolume. Secondly, and in case the hard drive was not partitioned by fdisk and it is a dynamic disk, it should not be the system or boot partition.

Hope this helps

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by shmaltz In reply to Relpacing Harddrive in Wi ...

Just my 2cents.
Before you do anything make sure that win2000 can boot to that new harddrive with the current config without reinstalling the OS, as I have seen a lot of times that I will get an Inaccessable_boot_device_error upon boot up after changing the harddrive windows boots to. If both are IDE harddrive and you are not changing controllers (that is the IDE controller) there might not be a problem. If however you change the controller also you will get the above error message.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)