General discussion

remote access to exchange server 2000

By bnagy ·
Our company has a remote office that wants to connect their Outlook 2000 clients directly to our exchange 2000 server in the same way that you would connect if you were on the local LAN. They specify the exchange server address and their mailbox name in the exchange server properties in their outlook profile but cannot connect to the exchange server and logon on to their mailbox. Both offices are directly connected to the internet and user public IP address for all clients and servers. The users in the remote office have their own separate domain, but would like to connect to the exchange server in our domain. They can ping the exchange server from the remote office but that's about it. How would they connect in order to logon to their mailbox and access their email?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

21 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Kinetechs In reply to remote access to exchange ...

I'd suspect two things. The first being firewall rules or router ACLs blocking the parts required for MAPI, LDAP, and/or Directory Service access. The second being that the remote office may not be able to resolve the host names they are being refered to by the Exchange Server. Take a look at the following MS KnowledgeBase articles for some additional information: 256976 & 270836.

Hope this helps with the problem.
Cheers!
~Sean

NOTE - When closing your question, please
provide comments. - Thank you.

Collapse -

***Adding to Joseph Moore's coments***

There shouldn't be an issue connecting to Exchange using MAPI (Corporate mode) without being a member of the domain. It should give you a logon dialog box to enter the username and password of the mailbox owner.

~Sean

Collapse -

***Adding to my initial post***

From the remote office, can you resolve the host names AND Fully Qualified Domain Names of your Exchange server AND your Domain Controllers? Try to ping them from the remote office (i.e. ping <hostname> AND ping <hostname>.<domainname&gt. If you can't, then your problem lies in name resolution. I'm not sure your setup for DNS currently, but what I'd do is setup a DNS server at the remote site and create a secondary zone on it for your domain located at the main site.

Try the first part then let us know.

~Sean

Collapse -

by bnagy In reply to remote access to exchange ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

We have a PIX firewall that is allowing all traffic from the remote office. There are no access lists in the router that wouls inhibit traffic.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to remote access to exchange ...

Since they are part of a different domain (and I mean part of a different Windows NT domain, since that is what I am assuming you mean), then I don't think those clients can connect to Exchange using the "Corporate Workgroup" method.
I could be wrong on this one, but for Corporate Workgroup configuration of Outlook to work to connect to Exchange, the user must be logged into their workstation with the same NT username/password that their mailbox is associated with. That is how a normal user onthe LAN can just log into their NT/2K/XP workstation, open up Outlook, and not be presented with any login box. Their signon information on their workstation is passed to Exchange for verification. This is the single sign-on concept.

Now, since this remote office is on their own Windows domain, then their NT/2K/XP user accounts are not associated with their mailboxes on your Exchange server.

So, I suggests these remote users use POP3 and SMTP to get/send their mail through you. YOu would open up TCP ports 25 & 110 on your firewall to allow access from the remote office to Exchange.

Please post a followup on this issue. I have not been around Exchange for 2 years now (been stuck in Lotus Domino ****!!!!) so I am rusty on Exchange.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by avswamy In reply to remote access to exchange ...

create trust relation ship with both domains, this is only things which obstructs in multiple domains which does't have relation ship. if your system is not a client in another domain, then there will not be any problem, if another domain member computer is trying to connect to another domain server then there will be problem. i hope this will help you.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Back to Software Forum
21 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next