Question

Remote Desktop only working on LAN (Server 2008 R2)

By ditchmagnet ·
I am replacing a Server 2000 machine with a Server 2008 R2 machine. Remote Desktop works fine using the WAN IP on the Server 2000 machine. I have disconnected the Server 2000 machine, and when I try to use Remote Desktop Connection on the Server 2008 machine, I can only access it through the LAN, not the WAN IP.

Do I need to have Routing and Remote Access installed for RDP? I thought that was only need for VPN type connections.

What do I need to do to fix this? I assume it is something simple. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Port Forwarding

by ditchmagnet In reply to Remote Desktop only worki ...

Hand to change my port-forwarding rules in the router. It was trying to send the traffic to the wrong IP.
FIXED!

Collapse -

Tip

by RedShift1 In reply to Remote Desktop only worki ...

Just as a side-note, this can also occur when the Windows Firewall doesn't allow NAT edge traversal for the remote desktop port (3389).

Collapse -

A security TIP

by robo_dev In reply to Remote Desktop only worki ...

From a security standpoint, opening port 3389 on your firewall is like posting a huge neon sign that says "Hackers Welcome". There are dozens of very powerful hacking tools (e.g. TS Grinder), that are made to specifically compromise those brave souls who use RDP on their servers. At the very least, the hacking attempts will fill up your server logs and slow performance, and more likely, your server will get 'owned' in less than a week.

While 'security through obscurity' is not a good tactic, at the very least change the RDP port to some other port number. If this is a server that is used for a company that makes actual money, you should use a VPN of some sort to remotely connect.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by IcebergTitanic In reply to A security TIP

If you really need to configure RDP for outside access, you may want to consider using an SSL VPN such as the one offered on Cisco ASA units to provide the RDP connection. The users log in to a VPN web interface, and then launch the RDP client from the VPN-over-SSL tunnel.

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)