General discussion

Remote terminal for win2000

By windanser ·
I am thinking about using remote terminal service to control my comapy's web server in a co-location. did any one use it before and how secure it is. I know the connection will give you the option of seting up the level of security but I need an openion from someone who actually used it. Also, how can it be used through VPN.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Remote terminal for win20 ...

I use it on all of my 2000 servers. It is good and bad, depending on what you want to do.
It appears to be light, and does not strain the servers, unlike some other remote control programs out there. I have only configured it to run in Remote Administration mode, where you only get 2 connections; I have not tried Appliction mode, which lets you have as many connections as you want but it also involves licencing. The client installs without problem on Win2K and WinNT clients; I have not tried others. I like the 2 floppy disk size of the Client install. And it runs just like if you were sitting at the server.
Now for the bad: Since it is a terminal session and not a PCAnywhere-style remote control connection, things you do are not visibleto anyone standing in front of the server looking at the monitor. So, if you are doing something at the server while someone is TS connected doing something else, you won't know. So, some co-ordination is needed. (if you are the only one to connect,then this is not an option)
Also, this means ANOTHER open port between where you are and where you want to get; I believe it is TCP port 3389.
Also, I have noticed some strangeness between running TS on a server AND Netmeeting in answer mode. I like to run Netmeeting as my remote control program of choice (yes, in addition to TS). That way, if I have to see the desktop that is visible in the server room (say an icon is on it that I don't want to copy over to another profile), I use Netmeeting. If I am just doing normal stuff, TS is the way to go. But on a couple servers, I can't run both. I still don't know why for sure; one of the servers is running Tivoli. So, there is something going on. I know Netmeeting uses the same Remote Desktop Protocol port as TS, so maybe that is it. But for most servers, running both TS and Netmeeting works fine.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Remote terminal for win20 ...

As for security, since I am in Remote Admin mode, only Domain Admins can connect; normal users can't (due to the Log on Locally right). So, that is nice. And it is using full domain user name/password authentication. So, that is good. Its authentication is built in, using all of the Win2K features, including Group Policy, so that is also good.

With a VPN, it should work fine. I have not been able to try this, though. But you set the tunnel up, then connect though and enter your network; accessing the TS should be just like being in the office. It really should work through the VPN like any other IP-related request. If you firewall and/or VPN filtering allows the port to go through, you should be set.

So, I like TS, but it is not the absolute solution for remote connections. I do feel that sometimes, you need to not use terminal emulation in favor of remote control. So, I suggest setting up TS and a remote control program.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)