General discussion

remove 2000 startup info/dual boot

By Sapinto ·
my computer runs on win xp professional. recently, i tried to setup win2k server to dual boot with xp. once the setup was complete, i could not run xp, so i re-installed xp but then 2000 would not run. how do i fisrtly, get rid of the 2000 startup screen information that comes at logon, and secondly, is there a way of setting up a dual boot on one partition without one o/s interfering with the other?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to remove 2000 startup info/ ...

REMOVE A SINGLE WINDOWS 2000 INSTALLATION

The simple way to remove an installation is to boot from a Windows 9X Floppy Boot Disk, and do a quick format on the partition where the Operating System is installed e.g. FORMAT C: /Q.

If you do not wish to format the partition you can remove an installation on a FAT/FAT32 partition, by booting from a Windows 9X Floppy Boot Disk, and manually deleting the boot files, on the C partition. The files that Windows 2000 uses are boot.ini, bootsect.dos, ntldr, ntdetect.com and ntbootdd.sys (Note: Not all these files may be present). These are hidden files however, so you may need to use the ATTRIB programme on the boot disk to make them visible e.g. "ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\*.*". You can then use theDELTREE function to delete the WINNT directory and the PROGRAM FILES directory. Before you use your Boot Disk make sure that the FORMAT, FDISK, ATTRIB,SYS and DELTREE programmes are on the floppy disk. Two other system files that you may wish to remove are the paging file, pagefile.sys, and the hibernation file, hiberfil.sys.

REMOVE WINDOWS 2000 FROM A DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 9X

The method of removing Windows 2000 from a dual boot system is basically the same as above with one additional complication - the Windows 2000 Boot Loader. The Boot Loader is basically the programme that creates the menu you see when booting, asking which Operating System you wish to use. The Boot Loader menu, together with the length of time time that the menu is displayed come from the information contained in the boot.ini file. In order to remove Windows 2000 therefore, it is also necessary to remove this Boot Loader programme: this is done by using the SYS command from the Windows 9X Boot disk

No,donot setup on same partition,it will cause problems.

Collapse -

by Sapinto In reply to remove 2000 startup info/ ...

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Deadly Ernest In reply to remove 2000 startup info/ ...

the simple answer is that when loading multiple Microsoft operating systems on the same PC to have a dual boot arrangement, you ALWAYS load the oldest operating system first then load the newer system. In this case use a boot disk to delete the two Windows directories and then lood Win 2K, when that is done load Win XP Pro.

In a dual boot mode MS Windows will start to load the newest system first and give you the option to choose which to fully load.

BTW the terms newest and oldest relateto the design dates of the systems not when you bought them or decided to load them onto the PC.

The reason is that the later system can recognise the earlier system and will permit you to load into a new folder and allow the loading of dual boot and adjust a few files, like boot.ini, to allow this. But the systems do NOT recognise systems made after them and thus see them as corrupted installs and load over them. Since the default install operations allows them to retain later versions of some files and dlls you end up with a directory that is half one and half the other and usually not enough to load either.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by dynamikcomputers In reply to remove 2000 startup info/ ...

just an anecdote to the previous answers: you can edit the boot.ini file with notepad or the like and set it however you want. also can achieve similar to lesser degree by RCLIK on my computer go to properties/ advanced/system startup/and the n select how you want this to work for boot in the windows and reboot

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)