General discussion

Removing 4.11 Server from Tree

By Q2Ggirl ·
I have a NetWare 4.11 server that I would like to remove from the Tree. The server is going to be retired.

What are the steps I need to follow to remove this server, licenses, replica, etc so that the other NetWare 5.0 servers still function correctly? And does it matter what order I perform these steps in?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Net Designer In reply to Removing 4.11 Server from ...

Novell's support site should be your first source:
http://support.novell.com
However, to get you started - check here:
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/500331.htm

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to

Thanks, but I had already checked out Novell's website.

I wanted to know from personal experience. Sometimes the TID's don't inform you of things you might encounter while performing their solutions.

Collapse -

by tommymcbrayer In reply to Removing 4.11 Server from ...

I just did this for my Netware 6 environment. Had some old Border manager Servers to get rid of. Pretty painless took me less than 5 minutes.
4.11 Box Server Console
LOAD INSTALL
Directory Options
Remove Directory Services from this server.
Then afterwards, delete any associated deleted server objects. Most likely a license or volume objects by using NWADMIN32.EXE or Console One.

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to
Collapse -

by Net Designer In reply to Removing 4.11 Server from ...

Additionally, make sure that server you are removing is not holding Master replica of any partition and all servers are up and time is synchronized.

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to
Collapse -

by Erekose MCNE In reply to Removing 4.11 Server from ...

First make sure that all your servers in the tree are communicating properly. Use DSTRACE on the servers in your network with the appropriate switches(+s,*h,+schema,*ss,+blink,*B, +j,*F,+agent). Run at server console.Make sure that the replica rings are in sync and communicating. Make certain that there are no unknown objects or obits(DSREPAIR -A). Also as said previously make sure that you don't have any Master replicas on the server you are removing and that all print queues and user files have been relocated. Make sur to do this after hours because there will be lots of NDS traffic as you delete.
Remove replicas one at a time from the server making certain that they have synchronized (DSTRACE switches) before you delete the next replica. When all replicas have been deleted from the server, you can proceed to removing volumes and licenses. Remember ro use NDSManager to remove the server itself. Check again on the remaining servers to make sure they have no communication with any objects associated with the 4.11 server. Once that is done you can safely power down the server. Check again in DSREPAIR on each of the servers to make sure everything is okay.

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to
Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to Removing 4.11 Server from ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)