Question

Removing Group Policy on Win Server 2003

By janvds ·
I accidentally applied a policy to a Windows 2003 server that, among other things:
-removed Run command from the Start Menu
-Disabled command prompt
-removed access to my A, B, and C drive
-removed shut down from the start menu
-removed access to the control panel
-disabled right-click on desktop to access display settings
-disabled right-click on task bar and start menu

If I do a Resultant Set of Policies, all of the items in the report that I mistakenly applied to the server and the Administrator account are "Local Group Policy" type.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to undo my changes...or if I do make the changes to the policy, it won't apply them even if I power down and restart the server.

Is there anyone that would be able to help me get out of the hole I put myself in?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Are you logged on as domain or local admin

by seanferd In reply to Removing Group Policy on ...

when configuring the local policy?

What else is in the policy you applied which could be stopping you from making configuration changes? e.g., restricting the user from making changes in the MSC.

Can you enter safe mode with escalated privileges which would allow you to remove any limitation from the admin account?

Or if it is a matter of the policy not refreshing, even on reboot (check event logs, if you can), it may be a matter of the user profile hive not logging off, for which you could use UPHClean, if you have the rights to install it.

edit: nfinished sentenc

Collapse -

Are you logged on as domain or local admin

by janvds In reply to Are you logged on as doma ...

I am logged in as domain when configuring the local policy. I don't have any ability to log into the server locally.

If I reverse the changes I made to the policy it doesn't seem to refresh, even on reboot. Event logs don't list anything regarding the policy either.

Will look into safe mode as well as UPHClean and get back to you.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums