General discussion

Removing XP Smart Security 2010 Roque Anti-spyware

By SagePath ·
I created an exefix.reg per instructions to remove XP Smart Security 2010 from my PC. Able to access internet via IE download spybot etc. When I attempted to run spybot from download or via external drive I receive the following message "Windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Their is only 1 profile on this PC and I have Admin access. I receive this message when I try to access any programs in Control Panel etc. Thought of creating a new profile to run spybot, but can't access Control Panel.... Anyone have any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

try

by PurpleSkys In reply to Removing XP Smart Securit ...

malwarebytes in safe mode?

Collapse -

XP Smart Security? Ouch!

by NickNielsen In reply to Removing XP Smart Securit ...

This piece of crap actively blocks all attempts to remove it. You might be able to clean it up by downloading MalwareBytes Antimalware (http://www.malwarebytes.org/), booting Windows to Safe Mode, and scanning with that.

If that doesn't work, consider downloading the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win - http://www.ubcd4win.com/). Boot to that CD, then use MalwareBytes to scan your hard drive and remove the rogue software.

Best of luck. This is a nasty one; I've only tried to remove it three times, and was only successful once. The other two PCs had to be reloaded.

Collapse -

Why?

by jcscribner In reply to XP Smart Security? Ouch!

actually, it's none of my business why you installed this software from ****, but just as others have said, malware like this use active registry keys to keep it from being deleted. Nasty stuff, especially if you can't remove it in safe mode.

I would first try out Sysinternals tools: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

These tools come in handy in pinpointing troublesome programs, executables and hidden scripts.

next I would say booting to a different OS (secondary, like a UNIX type, or a CD/USB based, like Ultimate Boot CD or ERD commander). Take care though. When you delete stuff it could affect the overall system. malware like this like to act like viruses and cripple system files (happened to several customers.)
Make sure you at least have a restore point when diving into your system files looking for this. It really sucks after cleaning the system for 4 hours only to have it not load the OS ever again.

Collapse -

It's a drive-by

by NickNielsen In reply to Why?

This one installs either through the typical "your PC has a virus. Scan now?" or as a drive-by if you visit an infected site.

My final recommendation to the OP is to convert from IE to Firefox and load the NoScript and AdBlock Plus add-ons.

Collapse -

Agreed.

by jcscribner In reply to It's a drive-by

Firefox works for security, but if you want fast, then there's also google chrome.
Though I haven't really tested the browser for security flaws yet. So far, so Good.....

Collapse -

I like security

by NickNielsen In reply to Agreed.

Of the three options available–speed, standards compliance, and security–pick two.

With the exception of IE (which pretty much gives you none of the above), almost every browser out there concentrates on two of the three. What can you live with? Or without?

Back to Hardware Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)