General discussion

Replace NT PDC with Windows 2000 Server

By homalley ·
I vave a network with two NT 4.0 servers. One as PDC holding all client files and the other as BPDC, running exchange plus IIS

What is the process if I want to replace an old NT 4.0 PDC with a new computer running Windows 2000 Server? Will this affect the NT 4.0 BPDC running exchange? When I startup the network will the 2000 become the PDC or do manually have to configure this? What status has the NT BPDC? How do I migrate the SAM from the NT PDC?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tony.colgrove In reply to Replace NT PDC with Windo ...

You will want to install your new computer with NT4 as a BDC. Once installed promote it to the PDC and then upgrade to Windows2000. This will upgrade your NT4 SAM into Active Directory. Your BDC's will receive normal account replication, just as before and continue to function as BDC.
You can then migrate your data files to the Win2k box. There is a resource kit util (scopy, i think) that copies with premissions. Once all data is removed from the old NT PDC you can sunset the box.
You can also use the Active Directory Connector to synchrozine your Exchange Directory with Active Directory. This can be found on the Win2K server CD.

Collapse -

by homalley In reply to Replace NT PDC with Windo ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by CuLizard In reply to Replace NT PDC with Windo ...

What I would do is this: (assuming you're installing the OS yourself from scratch)

*Install NT Server on the new box, configure as a BDC on your domain. Make sure it syncronizes.

*Take your PDC offline and promote the new PC to PDC

*Run Win2k Setup from in NT. Choose an upgrade install and continue on from there. Your SAM will be the same.

Collapse -

by CuLizard In reply to Replace NT PDC with Windo ...

Ooops... I feel kind of dumb, didn't read the previous person's post... sorry =)

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)