Question

Replaced mobo on Dell XPS m1530 laptop and now it won't start

By wanttocancel ·
I replaced the mobo with another provided by Dell and now the laptop won't power on. The fans don't run and the power button lights up for a half a second. Dell Tech Support is sending out another mobo for me to try for the customer but I need to know what's going on. The previous mobo (the one I replaced) worked so I replaced it back into the system now it won't start. I don't know if I shorted something out or if the case is shortening out the mobo. I just need a little help because I have to go back Monday and try to repair the system again.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Try refitting the CPU, RAM

by OH Smeg In reply to Replaced mobo on Dell XPS ...

And all of the fans.

You haven't connected this up correctly.

Col

Collapse -

I'll try again

by wanttocancel In reply to Try refitting the CPU, RA ...

I've switched mobos, reseated CPU and the RAM but I'll try it again. There's only one fan and only one connector for it. It's probably something small I'm missing.

Collapse -

Yep your probably right there

by OH Smeg In reply to I'll try again

It will be one little thing that you'll kick yourself for when you find it. Could be something as simple as not lining up the Header strip for the Power Controls or something like that.

Col

Collapse -

Are you Dell certified?

by zlitocook In reply to Replaced mobo on Dell XPS ...
Collapse -

Yep

by wanttocancel In reply to Are you Dell certified?

I've printed off disassembly/reassmembly for the machine because each laptop is different.

Collapse -

Have you

by Jacky Howe In reply to Replaced mobo on Dell XPS ...

tried another power outlet or power board. Retrace any electrical connections to make sure that they havent been pinched. Check that the AC Adaptor isn't damaged. Try it on Battery.

< edit > from the service manual.

NOTICE: Before turning on the computer, replace all screws and ensure that no stray screws remain inside the computer. Failure to do so may result in damage to the computer.

Try disconnecting all addon cards hard drive and CD/DVD drives.

Collapse -

But are you not supposed to

by OH Smeg In reply to Have you

Place any Left Over screws in the case for the next repairer aren't you?

I must be slipping lately I've not found any Spare Parts left over after doing any major repairs. I only find the bit I pulled out. What am I missing here?

Col

Collapse -

Well, we're not supposed to...

by wanttocancel In reply to But are you not supposed ...

but I guess you could do that but Dell sends us extra screws and we're supposed to keep those in our kits (or at least I do).

Collapse -

Ok, I'll try this

by wanttocancel In reply to Have you

I'll make sure there are any stray screws and I'll try the laptop without the CD-Rom. The only other add on is the express cage and I could disconnect that too.

Edit:

I've tried the laptop with battery and ac adapter alone and both times the computer won't start. I'm thinking something is causing a short somewhere in the case or I'm missing one little thing. I'm going to go over everything in more detail today so I'm prepared tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help!

Collapse -

Good Luck

by Jacky Howe In reply to Ok, I'll try this

as already mentioned it will probably be something simple. But if you can simulate a bench test with nothing connected it is a process of elimination.

Back to Laptops Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next