General discussion

Replacing hard drive on Toshiba P15-S479

By chomperhater ·
I have a Toshiba P15-S479. About 6 months after the warranty expired, the hard drive crashed (I got a blue screen and upon restarting I got the "disk read error press ctrl+alt+del" error). I took it to the campus resnet and they ran some diagnostics on it. It appears the hard disk is physically damaged. I suspect overheating issues. I went and bought a replacement hard drive for it. Problem is, I can't get to the old hard drive and have no idea where it is. I found one article on this site where a guy replaced the hard drive on the same model. If someone can guide me, that would be wonderful. FYI, I took out the side panels. Its not there. I don't think it can be accessed from the bottom either. The only way then has to be from behind or through the keyboard. I dont know if its the front. Please help. I hope to get my computer fixed before spring semester starts on the 11th of January.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jacobgin1 In reply to Replacing hard drive on T ...

usually in these models , the HDD will be above or belove the CD\DVD drive. remove the CD\DVD drive and u will be able to see the HDD. If not try removing the screews with the sign of a keyboard. This will help in taking the keyboard out. U might find the hard disk there also.

Collapse -

by chomperhater In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by ctrservices In reply to Replacing hard drive on T ...

Navigate to the following URL and you should see the underside of your laptop (on the last page). http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=513329&ct=DS&soid=638333&BV_SessionID=@@@@1247091998.1134827856@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddghihelkhcgfkceghdgngdgnn.0
The only cover not labeled I believe is to your hard drive.

Your other docs are located here (tech contact link also here if needed)http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp

Collapse -

by chomperhater In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by chomperhater In reply to Replacing hard drive on T ...

The un-named cover is for the DVD multi drive. It does not show any visible screws. Also, there are no screws that have a keyboard symbol on them. The screws say F6 or F18.

Collapse -

The hard disk was indeed located above the DVD multi drive. There is just one screw holding the DVD drive in place. It is an "F6" screw just above the drive. After this is unscrewed, the DVD drive slides out and you can see the HDD and replace it. I am typing this from my own computer. Thanks for all the help!

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)