General discussion

Replacing WinNT with Win2000 error

By kimscomputing ·
I am attempting to replace my NT computer with Win2000. The specs are fine but when I load the 2nd boot disk I get the following error: The file ftdisk.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue. I have used partition magic to remove all disk partitions and create only 1 active nfts partion. I cannot load from the cd drive because I keep getting the error that it won't load in dos mode. Please help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to Replacing WinNT with Win2 ...

" I cannot load from the cd drive because I keep getting the error that it won't load in dos mode. Please help."

You need to go into your computer's BIOS (Press F1 for setup, or hit the Delete key, or hit Shift+F10) - Whatever your system specifies.

In the bios, you need to make the initial boot device the CD Rom drive, 2nd boot device - Floppy, 3rd boot device - Hard Drive or IDE 0.

Save changes, reboot. It should auto load the 2000 cd or ask you to press Any key to boot from the CD.

If you cannot figure that out in the bios, but can boot into dos, you can go into the winnt folder of the cd rom and type WINNT.

if D was the cd rom drive from the command prompt, this is that it would look like:

c:>d:

d:>cd winnt

d:\winnt>WINNT

This is the dos mode of installing 2k...

Good luck

Collapse -

by kimscomputing In reply to

The Bios will not allow me to choose boot devices. I am trying to install win2000 not nt. Your instructions didn't work. I chose d: and there is no winnt folder on the win2000 cd rom. I tried the i386 folder and winnt but it wouldn't install either

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to Replacing WinNT with Win2 ...

try going into dos and just running setup instead of Winnt.

Collapse -

by kimscomputing In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by kimscomputing In reply to Replacing WinNT with Win2 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)