General discussion

Reply's to email sent from Exchange 2000

By dickpaxton ·
I am running Windows 2000 SBS with my Outlook as my client. Exchange will retrieve and send my e-mail?s through my ISP with no problems. But when someone tries?s to reply to my email, it is rejected by my ISP.
How can I change the settings in Exchange to allow for replier?s?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by carlos.nino In reply to Reply's to email sent fro ...

What error do they recieve when they reply to your mail?.

Collapse -

by dickpaxton In reply to

Uable to deliver. It is try to go to my email name @ the Exchange server not the email at my ISP.

Collapse -

by TechKid In reply to Reply's to email sent fro ...

I'm just curious as to why you don't just use Outlook to connect to the ISP's email server and then forget about all the hassles of running your own email server.

At any rate, you need to create another recipient policy specifying the domain of what you want your reply address to be. Then set that smtp address as the primary address.

Collapse -

I have multiple POP3 accounts, and want to have them delivered to the appropriate mail box.

Collapse -

by carlos.nino In reply to Reply's to email sent fro ...

There might be a relay problem.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Reply's to email sent fro ...

need a little more info than what you've provided such as who handles your name server functions [your ISP or yourself] what domain name your using [your ISP or your own]. Also need to know what rejected means? Does that mean non delivery reports are sent to the sender of mail to you?

Note: If someone sends you email addressed to <yourdomain.com> assuming that you have created that on your exchange server for SMTP but have no name servers to resolved that domain name to a IP address then the situation you described will happen. To resoved this problem you have to specify at your domain name registrar the name servers that will be used to provide DNS resolution.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

you further indicated with additional comments that you are using POP. That would mean your ISP provides an address for you and handles all mail. your exchange server only uploads and downloads mail to and from you ISP [a backend mail server] and your ISP handles the rest e.g. receiving your mail, storing it until your exchange server retreives it, and sending you your mail out when your mail server uploads all your mail to them.

If people sending you mail to your POP address assigned to you by your ISP, then it's their MX record problem. If your trying to get mail sent directly to you via SMTP address <e.g. yourdomain.com> then see my note above. That would be a DNS problem.

Collapse -

Who handles your name server functions [your ISP or yourself] - My ISP. What domain name your using [your ISP or your own]. I am trying to use my ISP (I hope). Also need to know what rejected means? Does that mean non delivery reports are sent to the sender of mail to you? YES. I believe that I have set up my Exchange to use my ISP (SWBELL.NET).

Note: If someone sends you email addressed to <yourdomain.com> assuming that you have created that on your exchange server for SMTP but have no name servers to resolved that domain name to a IP address then the situation you described will happen. To resoved this problem you have to specify at your domain name registrar the name servers that will be used to provide DNS resolution.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Reply's to email sent fro ...

sorry but you reject to many inquiries both in asking for additional information and possible solutions. maybe somone else will try.

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)