Question

Required Windows XP Services to Join a Windows Server 2003 Domain

By allen.schreiber ·
I am trying to secure workstations by eliminating non-essential services. What are the minimum set of services required to join a Windows XP computer to a Windows Server 2003 domain?

For example, I have disabled (among others) the Computer Browser and Server services on the XP Pro client.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Have a look here it may help

by Jacky Howe In reply to Required Windows XP Servi ...
Collapse -

Renabled Three Services

by allen.schreiber In reply to Required Windows XP Servi ...

I re-enabled three services and was then able logon to the server: Net Logon, Network DDE, Network DDE DSDM.

I was able to add the system to the domain without these services but I got some interesting results. The logon dialog box had the domain listed, but would give a message at the logon attempt "trying to contact domain." After re-enabling the Net Logon service, I got a message that said that the local machine and server times did not match and would not complete the logon. The Windows Time service was enabled but apparently could not synchronize with the domain until Network DDE and Network DDE DSDM were re-enabled.

I still find it interesting that it is not entirely clear exactly what services are required for a client computer to connect to the Active Directory domain. Maybe a list is out there and I have just not hit on the right set of keywords.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)